Klipschorn Newbie Seeks Advice

Hello Everyone. I recently purchased a pair of stock 80s Klipschorns as an experiment to see if they would work in my room as well as to determine if I like horns. I discovered that I like alot of things the Khorns do in my room, but I find that the upper frequencies can be piercing and fatiguing on alot of material. My questions is whether any of the modifications (i.e., crossovers, trachorns/V-Trac and drivers) alleviate and improve upon this problem, or is this the inherent nature of the speaker? Thanks.__________________________

mother of the bride dresses

discount wedding dresses

Custom wedding gown

You probably have an AK style network.

ak2.jpg

If you lift the wire from the 500µH inductor to the 2µF cap it will greatly tame the sound of the tweeter, especially on esss sounds and female vocals.

That's the simple fix. If you need more than that it will get more complex (and cost money). Try this first and see if it's enough.

Franklin, I found the very same thing when I purchsed vintage La Scalas. The problem is due to the aging caps in the balancing networks which have drifted off spec over the decades.

Fresh caps will restore your Khorns to (essentially) factory spec. The transformation in sound amazed me. It's a huge bang for the buck winner. It's not even an "upgrade" either. The original parts are not expensive as caps go.

My best advice would be to contact Bob Crites, "BEC" on this forum for parts. He sells kits on Ebay and also does turn key work if desired.

In addition to restoring the crossovers you might want to explore different amps. As you might know K-horns are very sensitive to different amps. I hooked a Sony ES series integrated to mine once, the highs were so accentuated I thought it would make my ears bleed. On the other hand, my 1970s Yamaha amp and receiver both sound very good with no upper nasty harshness. The same was true of my old Fortes as well. Of course the holy grail with K-horns is tubes!

I 2nd the above; I first used my Khorns with SS amps, and had the same ear bleeding sound. I had several things around to switch out and found my $7 Marantz 2210b from Goodwill sounded better than all of my nice audio equipment - the same stuff that sounds great on my Cornwalls and Heresy speakers. Since I've upgraded to a much nicer NOS Valves VRD Stereo unit, which is the cat's meow!