Klipsch rc-64 dilema

underpower

Hello, I am new to the forums and looking for advice, you see I am torn. 2 years ago I auditoned the klipsch rc-52 at the local electronics store and they happened to have the rc-64 on the shelf above it. I listened to the same sample of audio with the same reciever on both speakers and ended up not purchasing the rc-52 because the rc-64 sounded 100% better. I did not have the funds for the rc-64 so I decided to wait. The delima I now face is that I have a Denon 2809 Avr (125 watt) and everything I've read(I'm not too stereo savy) says you do more damage under powering a speaker than overpowering it and the rc-64 is 200 watt rms.
My living room is only 30x20' with the current center channel using a mix of speakers in series/parallel (1 klipsch center from 5.1 ultra set on top of the tv, 2 klipsch 1.2's from 1992 vertically placed under the tv with a small sony satallite between them.) The fronts are klipsch rf-25's the center surrounds are a left rs-42 and right klipsch 5.1 sattelite from the promedia ultra set with 2 rs-10's for rears. TV is sony wega 36 tube tv.
So the question is if I buy the rc-62 am I going to regret it? or if I purchased what I really want(rc-64) will the avr be enough power to not damage it? I appreciate any responses, thank you.
I have considered purchasing an amplifier just for the center, but I am clueless on amps. There's not much chance of upgrading the AVR as I bought what my budget will afford in denon and can't throw away money...on a budget...

A little insight to my current setup; The listening location (couch) is 7' from the fronts/centers with the left surround center farthest away at 11', right surround center at 5', right rear at 4', left rear at 6'.

Your not gonna damage the speaker as long as you listen at reasonable levels. You do have a pretty big room though, but you do sit pretty close to the center channel. If you do get the RC-64, try it out for a little while and see if you like it in your room. If it seems like you have to turn the volume up really high to get the desired sound then you can start looking into external amps. If you really only want to get a single amp just for the RC-64 I would look into the Emotiva UPA-1.

• Moderators

Nixon is correct. I drove my RC-64 for quite some time before purchasing an amp. You damage your speakers when your receiver's amp runs out of gas trying to push the speaker at really loud volumes and begins clipping. This clipping, or distortion is what damages your speakers.

By your words, it seems you REALLY want the RC-64 so I would go that route. If you don't, you will always wonder "what if" and if you end up selling the RC-62 to upgrade to the RC-64, you will end up spending more money.

Yep....

The above posts are correct.

You will only damage the speaker if you run distortion through it; or a clipped signal.

You can eventually move to seperates if you feel it necessary......

Enjoy your new RC 64...... Remember... We like pics; so post some!! [:D]

if it was me id get what matches the towers being the rc25, always sounds better when all the speakers match, not to mention its not nearly as expensive and its designed to go with your towers, use your savings to buy a external amp like the emotiva upa5 or 7 (your savings will nearly pay for the entire amp), youll hear better results than jumbling different speaker sets together

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ele/2288339214.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, I did end up purchasing the rc-64 but it doesn't seem like my denon 2809 is powering it well. When I turn up the volume I can barely even notice the rc-64 woofers moving. I was thinking of taking the above advice of adding the upa-1. Do you think this would help at the louder volumes? I actually have the upa-1 in my shopping cart and just wanted to find out what others thought before jumping in. I did like the post about using the rc-25 instead thank you.

Current set-up

Denon 2809 (115 watt)

HSU VTF-2 MK3 (12" 250 watt)

RF-25 (125 watt)

RC-64 (200 watt)

Surounds 2 rs-10's (50 watt)

New distance from center to listening position 10' / center to rear surrounds 17'

Rear surrounds 2 rs-42's (75 watt)

• Moderators

Hello again, I did end up purchasing the rc-64 but it doesn't seem like my denon 2809 is powering it well. When I turn up the volume I can barely even notice the rc-64 woofers moving. I was thinking of taking the above advice of adding the upa-1. Do you think this would help at the louder volumes? I actually have the upa-1 in my shopping cart and just wanted to find out what others thought before jumping in. I did like the post about using the rc-25 instead thank you

The woofers moving has nothing to do with it really, I would rather not see them move. Did you calibrate for the new center ?

The denon should have enough power, I would NOT get a UPA 1 just for the center. If you went external amp at least do the front R & L that would give more power to the rest.

I really think it's a setting and not underpowered if you barely hear the RC-64 .

Hello again, I did end up purchasing the rc-64 but it doesn't seem like my denon 2809 is powering it well. When I turn up the volume I can barely even notice the rc-64 woofers moving. I was thinking of taking the above advice of adding the upa-1. Do you think this would help at the louder volumes? I actually have the upa-1 in my shopping cart and just wanted to find out what others thought before jumping in. I did like the post about using the rc-25 instead thank you

The woofers moving has nothing to do with it really, I would rather not see them move. Did you calibrate for the new center ?

The denon should have enough power, I would NOT get a UPA 1 just for the center. If you went external amp at least do the front R & L that would give more power to the rest.

I really think it's a setting and not underpowered if you barely hear the RC-64 .

Yes, did you recalibrate your speakers?

When you turn it up; does it get loud? I mean watching a movie; does it keep up with the other speakers?

The woofers are likely to move minimally...... You (most likely) aren't pushing gobs of bass through them

My KV4 has 2 8" woofers and it is sealed.....

At high volumes, I can see them move minimally....... Mine is crossed at 80hz.....

Good Luck.

Thanks for the prompt responses. I will wait and see , the system was moved and might have changed my perception. I was used to running the denon at high volumes when listening to strong music and the small woofers on the rf-25's would move. The sound system does "surround" you and is quite sufficient, I just felt like I was missing the "Ump!". This could be more related to moving the Sub location than anything else. I have only been set-up/calibrated for a day now and just wanted to do all I could with my minimal understanding of audio products. Hehe I like to be almost defen'd and feel the bass pound my heart. Again thank you all for the informative and insightful help :-)

Are you planning on bigger mains down the road?

RF 25s are REALLY nice but there is room for upgrading.....

(Remember; you now have the top of the line Reference center)........

It is not necessary right now.... (Perhaps down the road?)

Enjoy your setup..... I am envious......

I would suggest learning your receiver's functions and trying different settings for your crossovers (also "small or "large").

You could always try a manual setup where you manually enter the distance and each speaker's volume; size and crossover frequency.......

Good Luck.

• Moderators

That's true,[Y] but also you said you like bass pounding, that would take a bigger sub for sure.

If I were you I would re calibrate and maby even bump up the center a little and get a nice sub. Small speakers will sound much bigger with a good sub to fill in, and also take a load off you mains and receiver.

Buy or build, but get a good sub, you will not be sorry.

That's true,Yes but also you said you like bass pounding, that would take a bigger sub for sure.

If I were you I would re calibrate and maby even bump up the center a little and get a nice sub. Small speakers will sound much bigger with a good sub to fill in, and also take a load off you mains and receiver.

Buy or build, but get a good sub, you will not be sorry.

Dtel.....

Amen to that!

I assumed the OP had a sub..... (His signature says he has a HSU).....

If not; he definitely needs one!