oil for heritage

tgourlie

Just curious on what products you people trust on your heritage line?

So far Holloway House Oil has been working pretty good for my Heresy II's. Just kind of looking for some ideas on oils and wood treatments for the heritage line.

Gotta love the Heritage... thank god they are back.

My heritage are laquered, and should never be oiled, but most of the employees there used to swear by old english red oil in a very light application every couple of months or so on their oil finished walnut-veneered speakers...it is relatively inexpensive and a regular-sized bottle will just about last forever if just used on the speakers....BUT if the veneer is oak it will tend to darken it a bit, although it WILL bring out the grain more. If the wood is unlaquered teak(very rare), then i would recommend them be oiled very INFREQUENTLY. Also, rosewood and ebony (also relatively rare) dont need oiling very often....ebony, rosewood, and especially teak all have alot of natural oil in the wood, so oiling them too often may cause the oil to permeate thru the thin veneer and begin to loosen it from the glue underneath, lifting the veneer over time.

Basically, when the veneer begins to feel a bit dry to the touch after dusting, or it starts to lose its luster, it is time for a bit of oil....but JUST a bit.

I have a set of 1989 Cornwall II's in Oak Oil. I also just picked up a Walnut Oil Chorus pair that could use an oiling also. These have not been oiled for some time - they are somewhat dry. I've had the Cornwall II's for 7 months or so, and I think they could use an oiling, but have never done this before. Any special considerations here? Can I give them too much oil in a single application? Since they havent been oiled in quite some time, could I do more harm than good to the veneer?

Mostly, I just want to avoid doing something stupid due to my relative inexperience on this topic.

------------------

First we Rock, then we Roll!

A Beast is Lurking.........To be unleashed May 2002

Alan,

Yes, gunstock oil is some great stuff...and, like olde english red oil, Birchwood Casey gunstock oil is available at the closest Wally world (just a bit more pricey than the Olde English, tho).

dnsphishin,

As for your question about application, just follow the instructions on the container...they will generally tell you that you may need to re-apply a day or so later if the wood has dried out considerably, in order to get the achieve the proper lustre. Most likely, unless you dipped the cabinet into a vat of oil and left it there for a half hour or so, you would not have to worry about a "one-time" instance over oiling, PROVIDED you wiped it down immediately afterwards!!!! It does take awhile for the veneers to soak up alot of oil...but still, over time, too much oil can possibly degrade the veneer glue's adhesion, eventually leading to separation...

Again, just follow the directions, and if needed, re-apply according to directions at the time interval given (normally a day or two).

In the old days people often used just plain boiled linseed oil...it still works well, but tends to cause more rapid buildup of grunge over time than some of the other wood oils used today. Some people lightly oil the cabinets, then after a few days give a nice light gunstock wax treatment to them, which provides a bit more protection to dampness/spills(provided they are wiped up pretty quickly) and a better shine, but eventually will have to be stripped off...whatever works for you!!!!

Please do remember that it is NOT ONLY the sides and top that need care, but also the bottom of the cabinet if it is veneered...and the risers if they are installed.