RF-52 II / RF-62 II advice

senmurv76

Hi All,

New to the forum. I just came back from my local Klipsch dealer and had a look at their RF-52 II and RF-62 II. The RF-62 II's sound stage seemed wider (I listened in stereo). My living room measures about 4.5m by 7m. I am also planning on purchasing a center (RC-52 II or the RC-62 II). I plan to use the speakers mainly for listening to music (through my AppleTV) and watching TV, and at times sometimes movies - would appreciate any thoughts on the following:

0. In terms of sound quality/reproduction, any major difference between RF-52 II and RF-62 II?

1. Would the 62's would be an overkill given the size of my living room?

2. I plan to use my HK AVR-132 for the time being (30W/ch). Would it have enough power to drive the RF-52 II or RF-62 II optimally?

3. I have a JBL sub (part of JBL SCS 140) - should I ditch it and just rely on the bass form the RF-52/62 IIs?

I agree with the above recommendation. Get the biggest speakers you can afford. At least with bigger speakers if its too loud or too in your face then you can turn them down. But if you get smaller speakers and they're not loud enough then you're sorta stuck. Plus as you've heard the sound does get better with every step up IMHO......soundstage widens.....dynamics get better and the majestic sound gets bigger. So i would get the 62s as possible.....As far as the receiver goes....I've never used anything that low either.....the good thing is Harman usually has high current amps in their receivers and they're generally a little underrated so the numbers shouldn't drop too mcuh with 5 channels driven.....just a guess tho.....luckily Klipsch speakers are sensitive but as a precaution I wouldn't really try to drive the system too hard until you're able to upgrade to a bigger receiver and/or amps. I mean enjoy your system but don't drive it to the point of clipping if possible.....or you can even just listen in 2ch stereo for the time being.....

I agree with above posts. Definitely go with the rc-62 over the 52 I’ve had both and the 62 is a big step up. The rf-52 to rf-62 to me I’m going to guess it’s the same step up. But I’d really look at a new receiver though 30 watts would scare me. I even looked it up because I didn’t believe it was 30 watts didn’t know they made them that small anymore. (They use to make small tube amps probably still do) I would think that would be better for a smaller set up.

Thanks for the replies - I just place an order for a pair of RF-62 II, along with a couple of meters of Van den Hul CLEARWATER cables. Should be delivered on Monday.

Question 1: I'm not able to figure out if they will be supplied with metal spikes - the dealer says yes but I have a feeling they are an optional purchase and when I unpack them I wont find any spikes.

Question 2: The cables I am purchasing will be supplied with naked ends (no connectors). Any benefit in using connectors?

Thanks for the replies - I just place an order for a pair of RF-62 II, along with a couple of meters of Van den Hul CLEARWATER cables. Should be delivered on Monday. Question 1: I'm not able to figure out if they will be supplied with metal spikes - the dealer says yes but I have a feeling they are an optional purchase and when I unpack them I wont find any spikes. Question 2: The cables I am purchasing will be supplied with naked ends (no connectors). Any benefit in using connectors?

If they say the spikes are included and aren't, not much you can do but wait and find out. Other option is to shell out some money and buy some before they arrive.

Connectors really dont provide any benefit but ease of connection. I love banana plugs with a passion, if i can banana plug it i do. I bought the Emotiva Connection Kits and have been very very happy with their quality. You can also purchase GLS banana plugs http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=genem&Category_Code=AHH_Banana. I haven't had any experience with them but other forum members have used them, hopefully they chime in. If i were to buy straight up banana plugs, i would try GLS first. There are tons of expensive a$$ connectors that are plain and simple not worth the money, you are paying for aesthetics at that point.