LaScala bass boost

tom518ny

I recently bought a pair of "professional" LaScalas (the black ones with the handles), and I'm using a Yamaha RXV2090 receiver with them. The Yamaha has a feature called "bass extension", which adds 7 db at 70 Hz. I have been using that feature, and I love how the Scalas sound with the added bass boost. My question is: could use of that boost cause problems for the woofer? I have been told probably not by a couple of Klipsch authorities, but I would love to get the opinions of some of you. Many thanks!

...could use of that boost cause problems for the woofer?

It depends entirely on how loudly you listen. At most "reasonable" listening levels, no - both the Yamaha and the LaScalas are happy campers. If, however, you're listening to a very loud sound track (Jurassic Park?) with the volume turned up and the "subsonic" rumbles of dinosaur steps come in, the Yamaha could easily clip with that much bass boost. In that case, you could damage the woofer in the LaScalas (and maybe even the horn drivers too).

Factors that put you at risk include:

• All channels driven simultaneously without a subwoofer
  • Extremely loud volumes
  • Frequencies below about 45 Hz (the LaScala's design lower limit)
Happy listening! - Boomzilla

lowest stuff I run through the system would be some pipe organ cds---no movies

I like to run them at the level you would hear live; thats one of the things I love about the Scalas---they play loud without distortion...and...they sound electrostatic at low levels!

On stereo music use, the Denon should be able to play Bach & St. Saens just fine. What one needs to know about the receiver is that the same power supply runs all channels at the same time. For stereo only, only two of the five (or seven) channels are being driven, so the receiver is far less likely to clip. Manufacturers (and particularly Denon) NEVER rate their AV equipment with all channels driven because the wattage available would be so small. I'd think that you can rock out with that stereo organ music with little hazard to either the speakers or receiver. Of course, you STILL won't get any subsonics out of the LaScalas - they just don't go that low. If you really want bass, you must add a subwoofer. Then you'll be able to "feel the bass" as pressure waves in your gut and chest (while the kitchen china rattles several rooms away). Happy listening! Boomzilla

The first line vertical from the left represents 100hz. Note that at about 70hz, the LaScala woofer nose dives. The LaScala k-33 woofer can handle about 25 whats at 40hz and the LaScala k-43 woofer about 50 watts at 40hz. So basically, bass boost at 70hz is ok, as long as you don't hit the watt rating depending on which woofer you have. Check your fuses. For quite sometime, the wrong woofer was put in. For a k-33, you should have a 2.5 amp fast blown fuse in your LF section fuse position on your LaScala's.

post-22082-13819639969182_thumb.jpg

lowest stuff I run through the system would be some pipe organ cds---no movies

You're going to be missing out on about an octave of music when you're listening to some really deep organ music if you're not using a sub with your Lascalas.