UMC Questions

kde

Hoping the UMC people can assist with a few questions for a new user. I don't think I would have ever been exposed to Emotiva, unless recommended per the people on the forum. now I have the UPA7 and the UMC1 combination. After reading other posts, it eems that it takes people some time to get used to the UMC 1 and to realize what it can do.

1. Why does my directv screen look "stretched" and the guide doesn't fit the screen anymore. HD channels seem to be fine. (I have the directv hooked to UMC via hdmi, and then hdmi to the tv).

2. Will I be able to use the "trim" buttons on the metal remote via a new Harmony 900? Another way of saying.. can I "trim" with the Harmony?

It took me awhile to get used to all of it... I have the UMC-1 and UPA-7 as well, and it is an awesome combination.

Question 1: On the menu key you can adjust the video screen settings on the umc-1. Go to the main "menu" go to "setup" go to "video setup" I have Time Warner and I have mine set on "Auto" this basically lets the umc-1 decide what fits your screen best. If you have it on "pass-through" it is sending whatever your dish box is sending. I initially had a lot of EDID issues with my HTPC, but once I got it, it has been working great...

Question 2: Yes, the latest harmony remote codes are set-up with the new metal remote, I have the Harmony 700 and I had to change some of the buttons on the Harmony remote to be organized to my liking....

Also, with sound set-up, when listening to music the UMC-1 will generally defualt to "direct" and I found that runing the UMC-1 in "stereo" mode sounds a lot better on my system....

Good luck, also I would check out the Emotiva Lounge... there is a lot of good information over there...

i think default sets it to auto for video, you could try doing passthrough and see if that takes care of any issues just from a curiousity standpoint, almost sounds like its a tv setting that might be goofy, ill have to ask, is the tv set to stretch? should be a number of settings in there that you can try playing with also

i think default sets it to auto for video, you could try doing passthrough and see if that takes care of any issues just from a curiousity standpoint, almost sounds like its a tv setting that might be goofy, ill have to ask, is the tv set to stretch? should be a number of settings in there that you can try playing with also

good point, also if you bought it new, you can call EMO's tech support, they are really helpful...

'Stereo' mode, besides mains, also uses subwoofer and employs your EQ settings.

Another quite interesting mode to try is PLII which uses more speakers, like centre channel and can be surprisingly satisfying.

I usually prefer 'direct' mode though, i think setting speakers to 'Full' range also helps.

I figured out the screen stretching issue. TV was set to "auto adjust" -- turned this off and everything is fine. Watching the Bulls vs Pacers on TV and think that the tv has never looked better. Additions include the UMC / HDMI Cable / longer power cord to plug tv directly into Furman power conditioner.

I figured out the screen stretching issue. TV was set to "auto adjust" -- turned this off and everything is fine. Watching the Bulls vs Pacers on TV and think that the tv has never looked better. Additions include the UMC / HDMI Cable / longer power cord to plug tv directly into Furman power conditioner.

so what do you think so far? when I was able to finally get mine going, I was blown away, but it was also my first multi-channel seperates system

This is my first separates system as well. It's been hard to tell the difference between each addition since I made many changes at the same time. I definitely noticed a difference by adding the amp to my old AVR. I also think my tv picture looks more clear -- not sure if this is from the furman or the umc1. I've not had a chance to watch of full movie yet, but hope to soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Still trying to get all the settings correct on the UMC-1. My old Pioneer would always play audio through all 7 speakers no matter what I was watching (usually in PLIIx). Why does the UMC-1 not do the same? The UMC-1 usually plays only 5 speakers... then I have to get the remote out and try to go through the modes trying to click on each one trying to find 7 channels, but am usually not able to and therefore have to watch tv with only 5 speakers going.

I realize that the Pioneer maybe didn't always have a direct 7 channel signal, however I still liked the sound coming from 7 channels.

the umc-1 is a funny animal. When i watch tv i pretty much always use PLIIX so that i get sound out of all 5 of my speakers. I have noticed that with certain media types, not all surround modes are available. For instance, a lot of the time, when i play a bluray with dts master, i have 2 options, dts-master or direct. If i play from my computer, i only have stereo or direct as an option. The connection is made via an optival cord. I have thus determined that it is because my sound card is only submitting a 2 channel signal. If i use my other blu ray player to play a cd, i have several sound field options.

My conclusion is thusly. The UMC-1 will allow soundfields that it can interpret and play. If the processor cannot interpolate the data to play in PLIIX it will not allow that sound field as an option. With 7 channels, the processor may not be able to translate the signal for 7 channels but just 5.

I only have a 5 channel so i cannot attest to the UMC-1's 7 channel capability. My understanding of PLIIX is that it breaks up the signal and is able to discern where certain sounds should come from to give you the surround experiemce. Dolby Digital is less "smart" and doesnt do that. This is what i am unde the impression of, i could be dead wrong.

For your surrounds though, turn up the gain on them so that they are louder. At 0db gain i dont really notice my surrounds. For my rs-3's i had them up at +7db, with my rs-7's i have them at +5db.

These are the best suggestions i have for you based on my experiences. Keep in mind, most media is not designed to utilize 7 channels, it will come in the future, it is more common than ever but not common enough. Troubleshoot with different types of media if you can to see what options you have. I would start by calling emotiva first, maybe you can report back with what they say.

Is it possible to get the UMC1 to play in PLIIx every time?

Also, when will I get my 40% off discount card? Haven't received it...

Yes it is, when its availabnle. I has a very loose understanding of how it works but go to the advanced playback option in the menu and you can choose your inputs and then specify a certain soundfield playback to be used when it can be. Maybe i am looking at the menus wrong and interpreting it wrong, it might just be more simple but yeah, i go in and do what i said above and it works.

Call emo to see where your card is

Today i turned on the tv and my picture was too wide for the screen. After everything was working fine and not touching any controls... my resolution changed. Actually the resolution on the screen says the same -- just the picture is too wide and looks stretched. Why so mnay issues with this thing?