importance of ICs

leftwinger57

Hi guys, I have pretty much re-entered the 2-channel world w the enthusiasim of a kid.I went the way of getting seperates for my H/T set up which I will list later w/ all my gear.

The question I have for today is how important are the ICs from amp to pre. Right now I have a Phillips for a side and a no name for the other and the music I get for what I own I think is respectable. I have to tell you I also visit the Polk site and they are one hard group of people when it comes to wires of any kind.It must be 14-12ga for speaker wire, it must be Audio Quest, Blue Jeans ,or Mit all noble but very expensive brands. I saw on E-BAY Monster Cable 4ft ICs for $16.00 w/ shipping thrown in . What could be so bad.I also have looked on the for sale sites and they too are asking way to much for my wallet, Now these Monster cables are clearly THX rated which I thought only pertained to theater applications . So can you guys steer me to a decent pair of 4ft ICs w/o breaking the bank.... Thanks LW

H/T---Yamaha rx-v665> Yamaha ysd-11 dock > Klipsch 500 set w/ 8in sub> Denon 1940ci-cdp >Toshiba au37

2-channel---Adcom gfa555 200wpc >Onkyo P301 pre >Denon 1940ci-cdp > Infinity SM112s >Samson pwrd plug strip > Shure Pro240 headphones> 14ga standard wire w/ no connecters at all .>>>The fore mentioned no-name ICs.

I 'am so glad I went back to 2ch stereo and now I'm looking to replace my Infinitys' w/ a pair of FortesII or Chorus but either everyone is on the other side ofthe world or the prices are to hot to handle for right now. Thanks for the chat, been here many times w/ not to much to say.....LW

I initially thought IC as Intregated Circuit!

I'm not much into cables. Speaker wire is just wire, not a cable, and monoprice 12 AWG is tough to beat on price. As for interconnects, as long as they don't pick up any hum and look decent, then they are okay with me. Monoprice cables are okay but not great; I find the connector a bit big and it's sometimes a tight squeeze to get many in side-by-side.

Speaker wire is just wire, not a cable

Definition; Cable: a cable is two or more wires running side by side and bonded, twisted or braided together to form a single assembly. So, if you're referring to speaker "wire", then yes they are cables... no matter their construction or price.

There's much confusion on this subject as this is not an intuitive issue. I once though grades of shielding were an important consideration until I heard a set of these which have no shielding.

post-22082-13819640372354_thumb.jpg