Cornscala crossover?

jhoak

Guest David H

Jeff, I have tried several of ALK's designs, what is the question?

Did you intesd to usethem in your new Cornscala build? If so, I not sure they would be compatible with the woofer you are using.

Dave.

Jeff, I have tried several of ALK's designs, what is the question?

Did you intend to use them in your new Cornscala build? If so, I not sure they would be compatible with the woofer you are using.

I guess the question is how much of an improvement would they be over the modified Type-B that is the "defacto" Cornscala crossover? Oh yea... One more question... What are the crossover points.

At around $400 to build a pair I have some questions as to "value". My gut hunch is that they would be worth every penny but that's based on what going from Type-As in my La Scalas to ALK designed crossovers did for me.

I am certain that they would present a much more "benign" load to the amplifier but beyond that I'm interested in "sonic" differences.

What I'm hoping for is for someone to chime in and say "Oh yea.... I built a pair of those and they were a HUGE improvement over the modded Type-Bs that I had been using.

By the way Dave... The 8 ohm SpeakerLab 15s have now been replaced with a pair of Mr. Crites CW1526C woofers. Frankly I think the SpeakerLab woofers had a bit more bass output but all in all I think the CW1526Cs are probably a better "match" overall.

By the way Dave... The 8 ohm SpeakerLab 15s have now been replaced with a pair of Mr. Crites CW1526C woofers. Frankly I think the SpeakerLab woofers had a bit more bass output but all in all I think the CW1526Cs are probably a better "match" overall.

The Crites woofers are 4ohms and should have been slightly louder than the 8ohm ones they replaced. The Crites woofers do take five to ten hours to break in however.

Greg

Guest David H

At around $400 to build a pair I have some questions as to "value". My gut hunch is that they would be worth every penny but that's based on what going from Type-As in my La Scalas to ALK designed crossovers did for me.

I am certain that they would present a much more "benign" load to the amplifier but beyond that I'm interested in "sonic" differences.

What I'm hoping for is for someone to chime in and say "Oh yea.... I built a pair of those and they were a HUGE improvement over the modded Type-Bs that I had been using.

Ok, I see what you are looking for here.

They will properly load the amplifier, and does sound better, but AL's Cornwall / Cornscala is is an older design. I reccomend the AP-12 500 and AP15-6000 this combination is similar to the ALK Universal.

Dave