Would an ALK network be an upgrade?

I recently bought a pair of '86 la scalas with Dave's Fastrac horns, Crites' cast woofers, tweeters, and A/4500 networks installed. I swapped out the K-55-M's with the K-55-V's from my '78 models because I think the older ones sound a little better.

I really like the Fastracs! They are a huge improvement over the K-400 and have dramatically improved imaging. The speakers sound much better in my smallish room. The highs also sound a lot more even with the tweeters crossing over at 4.5K.

My question is, would the ALK Universal network be a substantial upgrade over the Crites A/4500?

Well hi there Invalidbuffalo. I was just thinking tonight that I would send you an email to see how you like my former LaScalas. It sounds like you are not disappointed with them. My feeling is that the Crites 125 tweeters are certainly smoother and slightly less harsh than the Klipsch tweeters. I am very glad you are happy with them and that someone purchased them who appreciates all the upgrades. Talk to you later, Dale.

Depends. The A/4500 (the A) is not the same as the AA. Older design. Upgrade? Yes, from a technology point of view. From an audio point of view, you would have to compare them. I use A/4500's in two pairs of Klipschorns. I still use the original AA's (all new caps, etc.) in my original third pair. All however have CT-125's. The old K-77's were simply not quite what I wanted, and I did not want to spend the money on new diaphragms.

I use the ALK universal. It is a good network. It does have a "sound".
I can tell it instnalty when I here it. If you do go this route I'd
suggest Bob Cties CT 125 tweeter, AL's networks run teh tweeter wide
open and Bob tweeters are a touch less sensitive. IMO they are a match
made in heaven. Couple all this to th etractix sqawker and you'll have an incredible sound.

If you already upgraded your midrange horns and your tweeters, you just won't believe how good your speakers sound if you install ALK Universals! I've been trough all those upgrades (EV mid horns, beyma CP25 tweeters) and thought my LaScalas sounded great until I got new Universals inside to replace my type AA. Just WOW! really, really jaw-dropping. My LaScalas now image like the best direct radiator systems i've heard, but they hit you with the strenght of a truck and the speed of lightning!

be prepared to hear how your amplifier REALLY sounds (huh, sometimes it can be a bad surprise...)

• 2 weeks later...

As long as we are voting.. and i'm someone that has had the pleasure of extensive listening to both.

I would cast my vote for the ALK Universal's. Reason being the components that are currently in place like the ALK's, especially with the JBL 2404H Tweeters which were a touch over bearing with the Crites A/4500 XO for whatever reason.

Crites A/4500 or ALK Universals would be an improvment over a old set of AA by a mile (maybe more?).