Question on turntables

gagelle

Hello All,

My 16 year old son wants a turntable to go with his other equipment. I recently gave him my Epic CF3s which sound fantastic with a vintage Harman Kardon receiver. We can't afford a new audiophile unit, so I've been looking at used Thorens turntables on eBay. They seem to be going in the $300 range. Do you (or anybody) have an opinion? Am I going in the right direction?

Another question on preamps: I recently bought an Onkyo Amp (I think it's the M-501) that has good ratings. I realize it's not a Mcintosh but how much would the preamp affect the sound of a good CD player? Should I buy a used Onkyo preamp ($200 range) or spend more (400 range) to get a new Emotiva?

Regarding the turntable, it might make more sense to buy a new turntable many of which also offer a built-in preamp (allowing connection to a high-level input, rather than requiring a phono input), and even a USB interface in case he wants to burn some CDs of his records. Thorens, Dual, and other companies made some wonderful turntables; but, the sound is going to be influenced by the cartridge more than anything else. I'd be careful about buying a used unit, unless you know the seller's reliability and honesty. The stylus in the cartridge may be worn or damaged and replacements (if still available) can be costly. Your M-501 only needs 1 volt to deliver full output. So, as I mentioned in my previous answer to your post, consider going with a passive line stage instead (if you are handy with a drill and soldering iron, you can make your own for about $20 or less). A preamp can have a profound effect on the sound, so buying a used unit may lead to disappointment. Much better to buy a new one, if you decide to go that way, from a dealer which allows a 30 or 45 day return privilege so you don't get stuck with something which isn't pleasing.

Thanks very much for the information. The problem with new turntables is that there seems to be so many of them that are poorly made. The best price I could find on what I consider something good is a Techniques that goes for $1000 on Amazon. Do you know of any thing else? I've even read that Thorens is making some mass market cheap junk now. I never thought I'd see the day.

You can't go wrong with a Thorens TD160 0r TD150 0rTD165. You can find one locally for under $500.00 with an arm and usually a cartridge. The Dual tables are also very well made. Just find a local one and have a good look and listen. There may be members in your area who can point you to some good tables.Take a look on a Thorens at the spindle it should be smooth and witout any marks, spindle tip also. The motor should run smooth and even. Aside from cleaning a new belt and proper set up that's about all there is. Good luck and best regards Moray James.

a good reference is the analog dept.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/

Thanks very much for the information. The problem with new turntables is that there seems to be so many of them that are poorly made. The best price I could find on what I consider something good is a Techniques that goes for $1000 on Amazon. Do you know of any thing else? I've even read that Thorens is making some mass market cheap junk now. I never thought I'd see the day.

Check out this site---- http://www.needledoctor.com/

Among others, they sell Music Hall turntables which have gained very good acceptance. Roy Hall, Music Hall's owner, has a reputation for offering very good value for the dollar. Also, Rega turntables have a good reputation. You should be able to find something, with a cartridge, in the $500 range. It's probably worth giving them a call and discussing your needs.

Hello All,

My 16 year old son wants a turntable to go with his other equipment. I recently gave him my Epic CF3s which sound fantastic with a vintage Harman Kardon receiver. We can't afford a new audiophile unit, so I've been looking at used Thorens turntables on eBay. They seem to be going in the $300 range. Do you (or anybody) have an opinion? Am I going in the right direction?

Another question on preamps: I recently bought an Onkyo Amp (I think it's the M-501) that has good ratings. I realize it's not a Mcintosh but how much would the preamp affect the sound of a good CD player? Should I buy a used Onkyo preamp ($200 range) or spend more (400 range) to get a new Emotiva?

This is no help with your turntable question, however, congratulations on having a son that is interested in wanting a turntable. He is way ahead of his peers. Good luck...

I just bought a Music Hall MMF 5.1 from Amazon. They seem to be very highly rated and I have a 30 day evaluation period. They supposedly come with high end cartritges, all set up and ready to go. Thanks for all the help.

We have the Hall 5.1 going now. It's being played through an old Harman Kardon receiver (AVR 20) powering Klipsch Epic -CF3s, first version. Now I know why so many people want vinyl. The sound is incredible. I don't know how to describe it--just more presence and better bass- especially on live albums. (We're playing The Who Live at Leeds now.) This Hall model includes a particularly good cartritidge. Thanks to everyone for advice.

Seth