Separates

JasonJCarney

So I have been looking into separating my amp from my receiver. Couple questions though. Emotive gets great pub around here so I went to their website and checked them out. Is the UMC-1 essentially everything a normal avr is except the amplifier? I was looking at the same onkyo that nezff has but for the same price I can get the UMC-1 and the xpa-5. Would I need snything else? I guess I need some elementary training on separates. Thanks for any help you can offer.

A pre-amplifier/processor is the processor part of a receiver, so an AVR w/o the amp is a good description. The only other thing you would need is some extra cables and rack space. Two big advantages of separates:

If the technology changes you have to upgrade your processor. If you have a pre/pro, then you can keep the amps and only upgrade the computer. It cheaper over the long hall.

Separate amps will give you more power. A 7 channel AVR that is listed as 100 watts/channel will only give about 60 watts with all channels driven. The same rated separate amp will push 90 plus watts.

The downside has always been upfront expense, but Emotiva seems to have solved problem with their product line.

A prepro generally has less "bells", but has more thoughtful build, more attention to detail, usually.The UMC is a good prepro but is unusually good at music for it's net cost.It will not operate with the ease of the 608 but excells for listenability and the things say a music lover may care about.Of course more power is always great if you can use it.Just keep in mind a prepro is likely to be lacking the features of a mid grade avr at 1/2 the cost.The reward is generally a more robust sound and improved musicality with a prepro.

Well Thanks for the help guys. I never listen to music. 100% home theatre use. What options does my onkyo 608 have that the UMC won't have? I only use hdmi outs and inputs (actually my pc has the optical audio going to it as well). I don't use the setup audyssy function either. So what is the reason to spend $1600 on an avr like nezff instead of the UMC-1?

So what is the reason to spend $1600 on an avr like nezff instead of the UMC-1?

Onkyo/Integra has been building rock solid pre/pros for close to a decade, offering the latest technologies, and has shown to be reliable and provide excellent performance for HT and music.

Any of these discontinued models(Onkyo PR-SC885, PR-SC886, PR-SC5507; Integra DTC-9.8, DHC-9.9, DHC-80.1) will fit the bill and can be had for a fraction of the price of the new offerings.

These pop up on Audiogon all the time for very reasonable prices, $600.00 to $1000.00.

Bill

Just want to know what I get for the extra money.

You get a long track record of quality built, high performance, user friendly, full featured, reliable pre/pros. Emotiva is new at the game and definitely has had its share of quirks(as most mfr's do) with their pre/pros. What I do know is that those who have bought the UMC-1 and have experenced trouble free operation, do indeed give it nothing but very high praise. What the UMC-1 might have over the Onkyo/Integra units(besides price) is better analog performance for 2-channel listening.

Bill