KG 4.0 or KG 5.5

gagelle

I'm trying to get opinions about which sound better? And assuming the 5.5s do, how much of a difference is there? The reason I ask is that the 4.0s are cheap and easy to find, while the 5.5s more difficult and expensive.

Thanks in advance.

I found a pair of KG 5.5s for my brother about a year ago. They needed a little regluing but the price was right. They're still in storage for him in our basement. I have given them some excercise here and there. Owned KG 4s in the past. Both are/were original parts, no upgrades. My opinions are without a direct A/B comparison. In a nutshell:

The 5.5 has a more open quality to the highs and lows. It sounds brighter than the 4 to my ears. The bass digs deeper. Seems to have that 'smiley face' equalizer setting built in.

The KG 4 has more of a midrange presence.

Two very different treble drivers and horns, Exponential and Tractrix.

Personally I would go with the 5.5. Can't really say which one sounds better for you - too many variables. See what comes up for sale locally in your area. Snap up whichever comes around first, 4 or 5.5!

kg4s are very nice and closer to that Heritage sound as one of the first Klipsch Gillum models...KG 5.5s are very nice, quite a bit larger and can really hit the bass notes (kg4s are no slouch either)...depending on what you want to do with them, you can't go wrong with either...

Bill

Thanks Rivermuggets.

Speaking about regluing, I bought a pair of used KLF-30s that have been re-sealed with silicon. The backs appear tight. Is this a good method for re-sealing? As you probably know, these speakers have had problems with the backs getting loose. I even saw a seller on eBay who claimed that someone at Klipsch advised him to use wood screws. I'd be interested in the method that you used.

• 2 weeks later...