what guage wire can I use with KLF 20?

randydb

I want to move my klf 20s(front speakers) a bit further out from the television. Right now they have really thick speaker cables but the one is too short to move it out. I need a cable about 13 feet long total.

I have some 14 guage cable around the house here that is a fair bit thinner than the other cable. Can I use it for my klf 20 if I just have a 13 foot run or should I go out and buy more of the thicker guage stuff?

Thanks

Randy

WOW! What a great link and calculator. I am sort of bottom lining here, but with a 20 foot run I am still getting 98watts of power delivered and would have o.22
db. Tha would be pretty solid still as you can't detect a change in db less than 1?

This saves me a drive to the
store and some money! Thanks so much. You have done a lot for me Cornfed! I really appreciate it.

Randy

Just to make sure I am reading this calculator right. One of the

• Moderators

If you need cables, be sure you check out www.monoprice.com. If you haven't heard of them, you'll be shocked at how inexpensive their cables and interconnects are (especially HDMI cables). There is a HUGE markup on cables.

12gauge wire is pretty much the max size you'd need for anything home theater related for runs under 30 feet for sure. Anything longer than that for inwall installs, you definitly want to get some beefier CL2 rated wire. If i didnt have emotiva wire i would have bought 12ga from monoprice and run it to all of my speakers. 12ga can haul a lot of power and you are most likely never driving the rms wattages of your speakers.

• Moderators

At 50' the difference from #14 to #12 is only .13 db difference at 100 wpc and an average 6 ohm load.

With the efficiency of Klipsch how often do you really get to 100 wpc ? You would be shocked at how much your really using, it's way less than you would think.

At 50' the difference from #14 to #12 is only .13 db difference at 100 wpc and an average 6 ohm load.

With the efficiency of Klipsch how often do you really get to 100 wpc ? You would be shocked at how much your really using, it's way less than you would think.

I am quite sure I am never coming close to using the full wpc. I can put music on and turn it "UP" and the system overwhelms the house. I only do that once in a while to get my children upstairs for a wrestle. Most of the time it is way quieter than that. I will never require all of what my system can put out if I stay in this house. 14 guage it is.

"Cranking it up" to the point where my children have to come upstairs to scream at me to turn it down so they can hear the tv in the basement is really fun. I dive on the remote and they tear at me and we wrestle for 15 minutes while the music blares! Good times!!

Thanks. I have learned a lot today.

... 12ga can haul a lot of power and you are most likely never driving the rms wattages of your speakers.

What is rms wattage? I was assuming that what I should be looking at when I looked at the results of different guage wire was the decibal drop and drop in watts per channel.

Randy