Speakers or electronics

Not sure where to take my system next. I have missed out on a couple sets of speakers in the last month or so and it's got me thinking. Where should I take my system next? Electronics upgrade or new fronts? Specifically rf7ii's ($1700) with an xpa-5 and avr for like $500? Or the xpa-5, keep my rf62ii's, and spend like $1500 on a preamp or avr?

If I was starting from scratch I would buy speakers first and spend at least half the total budget on them. My budget would grow because it would take several years to build the system I truly want. So, I wouldn't be too concerned about the ratio I just discussed. I would also try to be smart about the speaker purchase so that I could have a really nice 2 Ch music listening system but also have that integrated into a home theater for TV and movies. So........I would purchase 2 speakers that I know had compatible center, sides, rear, and subs. Very easy to do these days. Especially with Klipsch.

In the electronics category I would spend a lot more on the preamp than on amps. I would get basic amps to get me in the game and upgrade them as opportunities arose. But I would get a very nice preamp (or Pre/pro) right off the bat.

My preamp or pre/pro would NOT be from Emotiva, although I would try their amps to get me in the game. I don't rally like their amps either because they do not have gain controls (which is more important than many people realize............unnecessary full gain just makes noise). But their price is right to get me started.

Well I ordered an onkyo tx nr3007 last night. It has everything I want in an avr and more. I thought about the sc5508 but didn't want to spend $3000 right now. The 3007 allows me to wait a few months before purchasing an amp. I plan on getting an xpa-5 and powering the high rear surrounds with the onkyo. I'm coming from the sr608 so this should be a big improvement on it's own. I have the subs I want and the center channel as well. The fronts could be upgraded but I am gonna get electronics completed with the current setup and see how it sounds. I do have my 62ii's for sale so that plan could change if they sell. Really looking forward to trying out the new system.