projectors, 3d ready

The Dude

What does this mean when a projector is 3d ready, do I just need some sort of player that plays 3d movie. And do blue ray players play 3d movies. And last but not least are there any budget projectors out there that can get me by for the next couple of years.

The reason I asked, is that there are a couple on the bay that claim to be 3d ready such as.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160592480266&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

thanks

Nick

• Moderators

I'm not that familiar with 3D but this article might help. Just remember, in general, you get what you pay for. $400 is pretty low end on the projector spectrum so just keep that in mind.

I spent $2500 on mine and it's not even what they consider on the High End side. Guess it's considered a Mid-Level Projector. I absolutely love it.

What is your budget? The Epson 8350 is considered a "budget" projector at just over $1200.00. Anything less than $1000.00 isn't likely to produce a full HD picture, but if you're just looking for a TV, then there are several options available. You will likely be disappointed with the non-HD pictures, espescially if there is any ambient light at all.

Youthman,

Thanks for pointing me to wards that article, it really explained alot. Looks like if I want projections, and 3d I need to wait a bit for the technology to be there.

As for you get what you pay for I understand that completely, I was just looking for a budget projector to start with, and seen those 3d ready ones. I will keep my eye on the Epson, and also look at others with some what smilier specs.

thanks guys at least now I have a idea, like the pre amp I want I will have to deal with what I got until I have the big bucks and the technology is all up to par.

I'm not that familiar with 3D but this article might help. Just remember, in general, you get what you pay for. $400 is pretty low end on the projector spectrum so just keep that in mind.

I spent $2500 on mine and it's not even what they consider on the High End side. Guess it's considered a Mid-Level Projector. I absolutely love it.

Youtman, you cheapass, thats it? :) im just playing. He is right though, 400 is really on the low end for a projector. Wolf makes a projector that costs like 50 or 75,000 and theyhave to custom install it and put in apipeline to bring heat away from the 1000watt lamp. That is very very high end.

I'd say 2,500 is good mid range, something around 5-7000 is more in the high range. It all depends though on how you want o use your projector and where.

The 8350 suggestion above is a good one- tho its not 3D. Thing is that 3D technology is still new and we dont if teh current standards will fly or something new will come up- so you might want to consider that. Another option is to buy a used projector on craigslist for 2D, if that works for you. Projector technology is changing fast and the older ones are avilabel for much cheaper than they once sold for. I myself have a JVC RS-15 and just love it!

This is what the site hot-deals.org had to say about (not that they are necessarily right)

3D Televisions:
You may have noticed very few (if any) 3D HDTV deals posted on this site.
First off, there have been few hot deals worthy of posting.
Second, we're not yet convinced the current 3D technology will stay or be replaced with something new soon.
The current 3D technology has depth into the screen, versus 3D theaters which show images coming from the screen at you.
Third, there have been some reports saying the 3D televisions are not good for your mind.
In fact, Samsung posted a health warning about 3D televisions, most notably warning about motion sickness and eye strain.
spacer.gif

They also mention eye strain, which is already common across all screens which emit light (computer screens, iPads, mobile phones, etc).
Reduce the screen's brightness in dark rooms, or increase ambient light to lessen eye strain.
Eye strain can also be reduced by removing glare on the screen, especially with Plasma and CRT screens.
spacer.gif

3D technology is new, expensive (if you count all the goggles you have to buy), and may not be worth buying for a while.

• Moderators

Youtman, you cheapass, thats it? :)

LOL. that got me laughing. Actually, I am very cheap. I don't mind my wife spending money on her but unless I find a deal, I typically do not buy it. I really wanted the zoom memory feature since I was going with a 2.35:1 screen, I didn't want to have to get up and manually adjust the zoom and focus each time I needed to switch aspect ratio.

I was fortunate that I was able to use my income tax refund (thx to 4 children) to pay for it. [:D]

I have a Sony VPH-G70 that I'm selling for a friend in the A/V business that might work well for you. Be sure to look at the weight and size of this beast. [:P] I still can't believe they used to make projectors that big.

well I put the 3d idea a side for now, if I go with something around 1200 mark than I will have to wait 3-5 years before I can upgrade, for now I have been looking for a good used one

There a couple factors one is do really need hdmi or would I be happy with component for now second if stick with a 110" will I have to move it forward or back when I up grade I know most have a range for the throw distance.

• Moderators

do really need hdmi or would I be happy with component for now

You can get up to 1080i with component and many people don't even "need" 1080p. There are many 720p systems that look fantastic. It mainly depends on how close you will be sitting to the screen whether or not you will "see" the difference.

if stick with a 110" will I have to move it forward or back when I up grade I know most have a range for the throw distance.

It just depends on the projectors throw distance. Most have a range, some larger than others.

Youthman - Happy to make you chuckle :)

I would wait on the 3d thing. 3D is a nice thing to have but it isnt worth sacrificing a better quality projector to get it unless you are so absolutely hell bent that you'll die without it. I would love to have something 3d capable but i dont feel that the technology is there yet to warant buying one. Most movies still arent in 3d so you only have a hand full to work with. Most of the use wouldnt be 3d use anyways unless you have an exclusive movie room where you are only watching movies.

5 Years for technology will be a whirlwind of a change, i'd say you'd benefit from waiting. As i said above, if you are hellbent on getting it, get it, it will make you happy and you wont regret your purchase, unless you get it and things aren't what you expected them to be.

Hey subs, I really like your speaker motto. I have recently been trying to live that way for this past year, and man am I glad wait and ask around here, I have made some poor buys in the past but waiting and asking the right questions has left me with what I really want and saved money.

Thanks all for your input, if you guys come across a good projector something for me to give a try, that has component inputs, and can go up to a 110". let me know.

Thanks

Nick

• Moderators

I have made some poor buys in the past but waiting and asking the right questions has left me with what I really want and saved money.

Absolutely. We all have. I too have learned to delay pleasure and wait for the right buy. I typically end up getting more and paying less. It's when we give into the little kid inside of us that is screaming, "I want it NOW!" that we typically pay for it big time.