Center channel "match" for Cornwall Mains

Stu Pidass

I'm a rookie with this home theatre stuff. My setup consists of heritage Cornwalls for mains and paradigm cinema series surrounds. Currently I'm simply using the prologic decoder that's built into my 53' Hitachi RPTV. I'm also utilizing the TV itself as the center channel (it has 60 watts of power). The TV also powers the surround speakers which are hooked directly to the back of the TV.

The TV's audio out RCA jacks run to my existing integrated 2 channel amplifier which allows me to seperately control the volume of the main speakers (Cornwalls). A little tweaking so the centre is not overpowered by the mains and the system is pretty impressive (That is until I heard a 5.1 system).

After hearing a true 5.1 setup I have become obsessed with upgrading my home theatre. It was a Harmon Cardon AVR300 5.1 receiver with B&W speakers all around including a powered subwoofer. Now I have no doubt that my Cornwalls are the base to blow away this B & W system but I just can't go out and spend thousands of dollars. Instead I'll take it one step at a time. Starting with a center channel.

Now I realize this is a Klipsch BB and I myself am the proud long time owner of heritage Cornwalls BUT is it possible that another brand might be as good or evan a (dare I say) better match for my mains?

Any suggestions on what to look for when "matching" the center channel? Is sensitivity important or can this somehow be balanced with seperate volume controls for each channel? (I know next to nothing about the receivers and how they power each channel). The Energy AC300 has some spectacular reviews but it may not, for whatever reason, "match" my Cornwalls. If not, why? If Klipsch is "the way" then which one?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

stu, the match you're looking for is a tonal match. you'd definitely want to match horns w/ horns. wouldn't mess w/ another co. for a center. though klipsch chart recommends the klf c-7, i would think a heresy II would be better. i'd say it's between those 2.

Boa "wish I could put my corns in front" H.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

I think you can get a single Heresy if you order it new from a dealer. They generally don't stock them and have to order from Klipsch so they won't have to worry about having an broken set. A friend of mine recently bought 3 Heresy's for his front and center speakers this way.

Ordering 3 Heresy's is a good idea, using two for surrounds and one for center. If funds are limited, buy a used pair of Heresy's off ebay - as well as a KLF-C7. I use a KLF-C7 center & it sounds great with Heritage line. Also the C7 speakers are shielded for use next to TV.

It's my understanding that Klipsch no longer manufacturs the KLF C-7 due to lagging sales (not sure if this is actually true). In that event, is there another current Klipsch model that would be a suitable centre for my Cornwalls or should I simply search for a used C-7 which could be very hard to find?

• 2 weeks later...

wonder if the new rc-7 will be a match w/ cornwalls. i'd like to have a center I could

someday maybe put w/ my cornwalls if i decide to get the rf-7 & rc-7 to replace the current

rf-3 & rc-3. guess, as klipsch still seems to be doing the voicing work, we'll see.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster Z-12 cable

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

rock on!

nevermind the rc-7. now that i've found more space, i'm going to upgrade the reference for legends: klf-30 & c-7. much better match for the cornwalls (still in the rear though).

guess i better hurry on those legends biggrin.gif

Boa "turncoat" H.

------------------

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 subwoofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster Z-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

rock on!

ttk, one word: space. i know i'm picky (anal), but this actually makes great sense to me. biggrin.gif

i would have went w/ the klf-30 in a heartbeat but they wouldn't fit in the front of room. found some modular furniture though that solved it, & hey i'm single biggrin.gif (though the girlfriend is starting to complain frown.gif)

the ref i think are not really timbre matched w/ the corns & the legends are (well at least more so). if i can ever get the corns in front the c-7 is a good match there too.

actually the 30s (@102db) may be even better in front - guess i'll find out.

the sony's not real high amperage but is 110WX5 & those more efficient legends should work even better w/ it.

of course the next step will be probably be a

marantz or denon receiver. but not so fast hopefully. biggrin.gif

• 4 months later...

Stu,you are not missing anything.

Heresy with metal horns is the way to go.The drivers are all the same except as you said the woofer.The mid horn is just a little bit smaller(K-700 compared to K-600) and crossed over a only 100Hz higher.600/6000;Cornwall.700/6000;Heresy.

Finding one,you know ebay has one once and a while.

I used a stock Heresy with my K-Horns till I found a K-401 horn and changed the Heresy E network to an AA network.

Heresy would be near perfict,Cornwall would be!