BUYING NEW RECIEVER DECISION HELP please :)

QUiKSR20

Whats up guys ( and girls ) I currently own a SONY STR-DE975 it does 6.1 and is 110x5 etc all specs can

be found here..

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-uM2fPTPCTM8/ProdView.asp?a=0& s=0&g=10420&id=essential_info&i=158STRE975

Not the best in the world nor the worst. I dont have

too too much money to spend.. Around $450 most on a reciever.

I plan on buying online so ill be getting a 700$ or so reciever if you go by MSRP.

MY question is this.. I am looking at the Harmon Kardon AVR320

and the DENON - AVR1802 how do these 2 compare to

each other and also how do they sound with Klipsch?

You can see my setup in my signature. Do you think they

will sound much better than my SONY? Im sure but gotta ask hahah.

Also which Yamaha and Onkyos are in the lineup in that

price / power range.

I have looked at outlaw but cant afford $499 at the

time and they are hard to find outside of there website to buy.

PS heres the DENON SPECS..

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-uM2fPTPCTM8/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=1042 0&I=033AVR1802&o=m&a=0

AND HERES THE HARMON SPECS

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-uM2fPTPCTM8/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=10420 &I=532AVR320&o=m&a=0

Thanks for all the help guys i hope alot of members

will chime in here I would like to get this soon Once again

Thanks,

------------------

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony STR-DE975 HT Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

This message has been edited by QUiKSR20 on 04-25-2002 at 02:32 PM

I am really too new to all this to advise, but I have the Harman Kardon AVR 520 and can tell you it sounds great with my setup.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Na, not yet. I still am using the original one now. It's just that the remote is flaky and hard to get into the setup and adjust things. I get my new receiver today. Even though the remote has been buggy, I have somehow managed to get things setup somewhat the way I expect it to be. I don't think the H/K was producing bad sound, but rather, i needed to make tweeks where I could. I have been much happier since I got my surrounds and biwired my fronts and center. I have not yet purchased a meter to balance the sound, but I think it's close. Also, I'm getting some bananna clips today for my surrounds. Right now the wires are just kind shoved into a hole in the side where the screw is. Which I found this to be odd. All the other speaker conntion screws I was able to completely screw out, but the surrounds I cant. So there is this little slot where you have to try and shove the wire into and somehow wrap it around the screw.... Odd, very odd that the surrounds are like this but not the others.

Also, I am getting used to the sound. I think I was expecting a $10000.00 sounding system out of my 3,000.00+ system. Just aint going to happen. Damn it! cwm21.gif

cwm32.gif

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-25-2002 at 03:02 PM

sorry quick i got sidetracked on the banana clips. Smile.gif

i have the de935 which was the 1st a/v receiver purchase for me about 2 yrs ago. been upgrading ever since. Smile.gif still have it in the bedroom. the 975 is a better, bigger output receiver though.

either one or the outlaw would probably be some improvement for your ears. but you know the only way to really tell is to demo w/ your other gear at your place. i know that's hard to do though when shoppin by

net & mail-order.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

So you guys think i should go for the Outlaw 1050 over

the HK 320 and Denon 1802 or any yami / onkyos in the

same price range? Im new to audio so i may not hear the

biggest diff with my klipsch's but I know you guys know

what sounds good and doesnt and what has real watts vs

low voltage watts etc. So far looks like everyone is

pointing in the Outlaw area.

Thanks,

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

sorry quick i got sidetracked on the banana clips.
Smile.gif

What can I say... Told you all I am a newbie. cwm27.gif

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

QUiKSR20,

Ok after looking at their specs in Crutchfield the HK definately has more. But the Crutchfield price is usually MSRP. The HK is best because it it costs $200 more than the other receivers you have listed. Its in a completly different category. I would look more into the Denon 2802, that is more comparable. I have that and it is great. As for Onkyo, great receivers but there too I would go with the TX-DS696, which is the same price as the Denon 2802. Onkyo does make the TS-DS595 which is $499 MSRP so it would be the same price as the Denon 1802. If you don't want to spend the extra for the Denon 2802 or Onkyo TX-DS696, I wouldn't buy a new receiver. I say that because the one you have now is almost the same as the Denon 1802 and Onkyo TX-DS595 and you wouldn't really get more out of it. Definately would be a waste of your money. As for Yamaha, I have no experience with them but I see Crutchfield has the Yamaha HTR-5460 for $499, which you again wouldn't be any better off with, and their next one is $899 and thats out of the price range. So don't look at Yamaha. I would honestly save another $100 to possibly $200 at the most and get the Denon 2802 or Onkyo TX-DS 696. They are both sweet receivers and you won't find anything you dislike about them. Or go ahead and get the HK AVR 320. But if you don't get one of those 3 dont' get any model lower than that or your just wasting your money on a receiver that is already as good as the one you have.

------------------

I like my bass like I like my women, deep and tight.

QUiKSR20,

The Outlaw has received very favorable feedback from its owners here and elsewhere. Plus it is only a few additional dollars above your targeted price. If you extend your dollar value range, I'm sure you would receive far more nominations. As was stated in other posts, it would be more benificial if you could sample receivers in home before buying. Your ears are the best yard stick to measure listening pleasure and enjoyment!

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Daryl,

For a Little more money, look at NAD. Also research audioreview.com for specific models your interested in.

I have the Onkyo stereo receiver, that I like for its simple features, and better build and quality insides.

Also check yawaonline.com for prices of NAD products.

------------------

Bill

Thanks for all the input guys.. I havent found a Buyer

on my reciever yet So for now im sticken to the sony

and then i will look into the outlaw, the HK 320 and

some NAD recievers..Anyone ever use NAD with Klipsch? any

experiences to share?

Thanks In advance,

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

Daryl - I use an NAD with my Klipsch KG4s and KG3s. It's a fairly old model, bought in 1986, but it sounds great with them. (I should hook it to my Chorus to see how that sounds.) One thing about NAD is that they are very conservative in their power ratings. They have good power supplies, and will easily outperform amps/receivers with stated power ratings 50-100% higher, IMHO. Plus, it's clean.

Doug

------------------

My System

Daryl,

I'm using NAD's T761 receiver for HT. It has only 5.1 channels, and performs very good for HT. As with all NAD H/T receivers, its real strong point is music. NAD designed them with a "Music First" approach to audio and video. I truly like its exceptional performance on 2 channel and 5 channel music. Mine has 80Wx5 w/45 amps peak current capability. Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic and EARS Mode (5 channel music). Composite video in is available on S-Video outs. I rarely recommend NAD H/T receivers, as most are looking for at least 6.1 capable units.

Bottom line, if you can live with a very good 5.1 capable receiver, that really excels on music, and are willing to pay the additional dollars, then NAD is a worthwhile candidate. They also have two lower wattage units the T751 & T741 rated 60W and 50W, respectively. I have no experience with these two models.

NAD web site link: http://www.nadelectronics.com/Receiver/

Wish you much success in your search.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

I will have to check out some NAD recievers 5.1 is sufficient for me right now. I mostly listen to 2 channel audio and 5.1 havent played with 6.1 yet much

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub