5.1 anolog connection

vnzbd

I have just recieved a new blu-ray player(Oppo 93) and am in the process of installation. My older Marantz reciever does not have any HDMI inputs so I am going to use the 5.1 anologs until a reciever upgrade comes along. As I am going through my stash of cables all I currently have for the hook up is component video cables(blue,green,red). Are these suitable at 75 ohms or should I be investing in standard audio patch cords?

As always, thank you!

If you are using the analog outs from your Oppo you are not operating at 75 ohms. That is a digital cable spec. The rule is that you can use digital interconnects on analog signals, but not vice-versa. You should be fine with the component cables for what you are doing.

As I am going through my stash of cables all I currently have for the hook up is component video cables(blue,green,red). Are these suitable at 75 ohms or should I be investing in standard audio patch cords?

Mike,

Funny you should ask that question. I was in Radio Shack on Thursday to buy a "subwoofer" cable and stumbled upon an 8 foot Monster component cable marked down from $49.99 to $9.99. I asked the manager if it would work as a subwoofer or stereo audio cable and he said absolutely. I actually knew the answer but just wanted him to confirm it. So I got (3) quality 8 foot audio cables for $9.99.

Remember to boost your LFE channel up 10 dB's.

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/How_To_Set_up_a_Blu-ray_Player_Using_Multi-Channel_Analog_Outputs_And_Why.shtml

Bill

Thanks for the info Bill. Just about a month ago I streamlined my parts bin and said goodbye to maybe 10 sets of rca stereo patch cables. None of them fancy, just a little less is more simplicity in my life. In comes the Oppo and all I retained were the video cables. Of course they are all 6-12' and it would be nice to have 3' for cable managment. I will try what I have and hear the results and go from there.

No need to boost the LFE as I am running 5.0. It seems that someone in north Fl is hoarding all of the subwoofers!!!