Fortes with Magnavox tube amp (pictures)

artinaz

MG1737-Edit-L.jpg

I recently picked up a 8802 Magnavox tube amp on craigslist. These were the hearts of the Magnavox stereo console in the 1950s. Luckily, there are many links on the web on restoring these- so makes it much easier for me too. The consoles take up space and many give them away on craiglist.

I have them hooked up to my Forte's and she sounds great. A couple of resistors soldered in and its amazing how full they sound on the speakers. Female vocals sound warm and lush and I love the match with the speakers.

I loved it so much that I actually sat down to write a post about it here I also have the Cornwalls and the Heresy's that I am going to try out as well.

MG1743-Edit-L.jpg

Looks like a fun project. I've done a couple of these myself. It's a good idea to replace the coupling caps if you haven't with Orange Drops or similar. "Antique Radio Supply" on the web has them for a reasonable price. Searches for "SEP" and Maggie in the two channel forum will lead you to what others have done with these little amps around here.

Hey thanks for the heads up. I have been reading on the magnavox group on yahoo. Its good to know that there's a good following here too!

I have been loving this amp. I cleaned up the surface. The next step is replace the resistors and capacitors.

I've got a 9300 series 6BQ5 PP Magnavox console amp, but I'm kinda partial to the little single-ended 6BQ5 console amplifiers with my Cornwalls. I have a couple 8600 series amplifers, but would desire a 196 series console amp. (5U4 rectifier w/choke, and 12AX7 driver)

Black Maggotbox

post-6643-13819657540216_thumb.jpg