at what volume levels do you guys watch movies ( thx relative )

forestelder

I was just thinking about this question. When most of us run audessy or similar set-ups, the program sets the speakers to -10 or so. THX is designed to run at reference levels, so most likely THX reference is around -15 to -25 assuming a 0 db setting on each channel.

Huh? I was under the impression that THX (and Audessy) sets reference at 0 dB.

Stating what setting your volume knob is doesn't mean how loud the system is.

Your loudness level should be expressed in Db's not what the number is on your reciever. you need a Sound Pressure Meter and a known distance from the source(s).

Such as: 101 db @ 1 meter

• Moderators

Your loudness level should be expressed in Db's not what the number is on your reciever. you need a Sound Pressure Meter and a known distance from the source(s).

Such as: 101 db @ 1 meter

Exactly what I suggested. [Y]

I was just thinking about this question. When most of us run audessy or similar set-ups, the program sets the speakers to -10 or so. THX is designed to run at reference levels, so most likely THX reference is around -15 to -25 assuming a 0 db setting on each channel.

Huh? I was under the impression that THX (and Audessy) sets reference at 0 dB.

The idea behind things like Audessy and THX is that it gives a standardized unit of reference (zero) regardless of system components so you don't need to measure db. There have been many discussions about these programs on this forum and how it falls short of it's goal for so many of us. I think the reason is evident in that the high sensitivity of our beloved speakers can't reach the standardized zero on our systems. Here's why:

If I run my Audessy EQ, in order to set 0 as the reference level, it turns my speakers down to -9.5 (maxing out the negative volume). Basically, Audessy can't find a volume low enough in order to equilibrate the speakers for 0 reference. If I reconfigure my system manually and set all of my speakers to zero, then my reference level volume is somewhere below -9.5...I just don't know how far below, as Audessy was still looking for that level when the bottom dropped out. Based on my own listening volume preference using a receiver on THX mode, it's somewhere between -15 and -25 when using THX source material. This is all VERY vague as few would have all of their speakers set to 0. Most likely, it's zero +/- 5, then it's a preferred listening volume of -20 +/-5 giving a range of about -10 to -30 with no standard reference level.

Basically, we can't use the aforementioned reference level, and a thread like this makes it evident that the general concensus of preferred listening (possibly equivalent to reference volume) is -20 +/-.

Maybe I'm completely wrong here, but the forum has been slow the past couple of days and this is as good a topic as any.

It does on some Audessey receivers. It sets the volume control such that 0 dB is reference level, 105 dB max from exach speaker at the seating position and 115 dB for the sub. I don't know what it does when the system is not capable of reaching reference. I don't have such a receiver and used an SPL meter to figure out that -13 dB on my dial was reference level.

• Moderators

It sets the volume control such that 0 dB is reference level, 105 dB max from exach speaker at the seating position and 115 dB for the sub.

Is that how it works? I've never understood the whole "Reference Levels". Now it makes sense if that is the case. I don't think I've ever turned mine up to 0dB on my receiver. LOL

It sets the volume control such that 0 dB is reference level, 105 dB max from exach speaker at the seating position and 115 dB for the sub.

Is that how it works? I've never understood the whole "Reference Levels". Now it makes sense if that is the case. I don't think I've ever turned mine up to 0dB on my receiver. LOL

Mine is a non-THX non-Audessey harman-kardon. On mine, 0 dB means maximum output assuming saturated (just about to clip) input level.