HH Scott 299

The Dude

I know I should stay away from impulse buying, I just had this discusion with Youthman I think a couple of weeks a go. But a HH scott 299 any model letter a-c which from what I've read the c's are the best. Any who settled for this one 299 don't know why I have a thing for a reasonable priced fixer upper.

So after I fix the things that are broken were should I go from there, once I have my HT done and my main 2 channel system in the next stage I would like to save the money to send this to Craig over at NOS. But for the mean time is there any thing I could repalce fix etc, to get her up to par.

thanks

Duder.

These are wonderful integrated amps. High build quality, great ergonomics, efficient design and great sonics.

First thing I would do is dust, clean, oil and polish then "de-oxidize" very carefully. If you want to dig any deeper remember to properly discharge the caps as tube equipment can store a serious amount of energy. Don't mess around with that (period)..

You can't go wrong with these as an investment, unless you pay too much. :) (I don't know what that number is)

The 299 is a work of art in my book. These should be carefully restored, enjoyed and saved for future generations.

T

p6140001.jpg

he 299 is a work of art in my book. These should be carefully restored, enjoyed and saved for future generations.

A perfect example! I like the blue lamps. Is this a 299C? The tubes in the back and orientation of the transformers are different than mine.

Pm

That's nice that's what I want to get, is that a Thorens table.

I have a td166 mk 2 that will be paired with this system along with either my Heresies or Fortes. I think the one I am getting has the unpowered center so I can run my powered sub

:

Pm
That's nice that's what I want to get, is that a Thorens table.
I have a td166 mk 2 that will be paired with this system along with either my Heresies or Fortes. I think the one I am getting has the unpowered center so I can run my powered sub
:

The table is an AR-XA... and yes, the 299-D has a center pre out.

Good luck!

I know I should stay away from impulse buying, I just had this discusion with Youthman I think a couple of weeks a go. But a HH scott 299 any model letter a-c which from what I've read the c's are the best. Any who settled for this one 299 don't know why I have a thing for a reasonable priced fixer upper.

So after I fix the things that are broken were should I go from there, once I have my HT done and my main 2 channel system in the next stage I would like to save the money to send this to Craig over at NOS. But for the mean time is there any thing I could repalce fix etc, to get her up to par.

thanks

Duder.

Flip the amp over and take some nice close up shots of the business end of the amp then email them to me and I will advise you on a few safety things you can do in the mean time via the phone. One thing is for sure until you get it completely overhauled do not run it when your not present to shut it down, transformers can easily go up in smoke when things let loose...Honestly running these amps without an overhaul is asking for trouble after all they are 50 years old!!

craig@nosvalves.com

Honestly running these amps without an overhaul is asking for trouble

I'm going to buy a 299D as soon as I can. What all is needed to be done with their overhaul?

Well my deluxe rebuild consist of about 40 component replacements with a few new additions for good measure. Once complete the amps sound better then new and are ready for another 40 years or so.... well if used much you will need to replace some tubes here and there.

For some reason I quit getting email from this thread, anywho Craig thanks for posting. Once I receive this unit I will take as many pics of the buisness side of things as possible. However I believe one of the cans in the rear is missing this would need to be replaced right off of the bat, I know one of the threads I was reading earlier, you had posted a sight with some replacement cans I think I have it booked marked so this will be first order of action and anything else you recomend. 2nd do you have any source of 7189 tubes I will need a couple of pairs. You don't have to jump back anytime soon I can wait until I send you some pics.

thanks for your time.

Nick