JBL 2426 cost increases 58%

BR928

I bought a pair of JBL 2426 for a build in January for $268.00 ea. I had a hard time justifying that much at the time but it was the only true 1" driver I could find with a track record. Yesterday I noticed the cost is now $440.00 ea.! Thats a 58% increase in five months. Is this a sign of things to come in the industry or is this just limited to JBL? Yikes....I could never justify them in a build now!

Do they use neodymium? If so, that might explain it. Have you noticed the recent price increase on woofers that use neodymium magnets?

I don't know. These magnet structures are huge. I would think a rare earth magnet would be much smaller.

237.png

Jan~March, 200% increase. Jan~June, 500%+ increase.

China, the global leader in rare earth production, is set to impose a
new tax on rare earth minerals from April 1 the Ministry of Finance and
the State Administration of Taxation has told rare earth producers in
the country.

Zhong continued by stating that prices of rare earths have been soaring
since February (2011), sometimes by 10,000 yuan per ton a day.

China has already cut export quotas for rare earth minerals this year,
causing concern for many industries.

Neo prices shot up 500% from '05~'08, and another 500% this year. The Eminence KappaLite use an 11 oz slug, about $2.50 when the driver was designed, over $60 now (raw material price only, no machining or shipping factored in).

The price may pull back a bit now that the higher prices have cut back demand. In a couple of years they may go down a bit further as new mines open up due to the ever increasing price and demand. Expect prices to be sticky downwards, even if new mines come on line.