Capital Audiofest - July 8 - 10

greg928gts

It was quite an experience doing this first show. Being a rookie, I brought way too much crap with me! I won't make that mistake again.

I did get a chance to sneak away and hear some other systems. A couple of them were very nice sounding. Nothing brought a smile to my face more than the big, over-the-top GOTO horns though.

Full report on the show coming up soon in my newsletter.

Greg

post-11090-13819659157364_thumb.jpg

Late to the post as usual. This was my first high end audio show, and barring some surprises, most of the mag buck systems did not enthrall. The problem, of course, is when you sit down with something totally unfamiliar it's hard to parcel out the parts, ie speaker, sources, cables (snicker), amps, etc. So ultimately the questions is are you being enchanted/appalled by what particular ink in the chain. Frustrating to say the least. The only constant is that nobody's playing any bad recordings on their systems weather it be cd, digital or vinyl.

That said, there were a few that shined, our own Volti Audio impresses, and here's a pic I took during my brief stay. Brief, because it looked like Greg was working on a sale so I gave him room to maneuver, figuring if I opened my mouth with typical Thebesism I'd queer the deal.

post-14801-13819659174924_thumb.jpg

Here's the oversize bizarre horn on the GoTo $150k horn speakers that were "shoutey" for lack of a better word.Sorta like somebody honking a car horn, quiet-loud, quiet, loud, and nothing in between. Gave me a headache really quickly.

post-14801-13819659175434_thumb.jpg

Besides a bewildering array of esoteric cables looking mostly like some science fiction spaghetti, the shapes of some of these speakers are truly odd, like this conehead "were from France" speaker.

post-14801-13819659175784_thumb.jpg

These are circa late 1920's early '30's Jensen Theater speakers using a separate tweeter and the driver is a field coil that uses a type 80 tube as a rectifier. The sound was smooth, succulent, perfectly detailed and a joy to listen to. Very, very impressive and IMO the winner of the whole show.

post-14801-13819659177184_thumb.jpg

Nice write-up and pics, thanks, Marty. I'm sorry I didn't realize that was the WE cab and didn't get to listen to it.

Interesting that the field-coil systems like the WE and the Classic Audio Systems speakers I posted on above were so outstanding. We'll probably have another chance to hear them again next year.

Like you, I didn't think much of the sound in most rooms.

These are circa late 1920's early '30's Jensen Theater speakers using a separate tweeter and the driver is a field coil that uses a type 80 tube as a rectifier. The sound was smooth, succulent, perfectly detailed and a joy to listen to. Very, very impressive and IMO the winner of the whole show.

I forgot to write about these in my latest newsletter. How could I forget? They were wonderful sounding speakers. Not quite enough lows or highs for me, but just fantastically musical. Thanks for reminding me about these.

Greg