New guy and BIG problem!

Hey I'm new to the forum as well as home audio. My mom gave me the house's stereo, it is a Yamaha natural sound rx-770 along with a natural sound cassete deck and 5cd changer. The speakers are 2 Klipsch KG4.5's and a Boston Aquistic 6in powered subwoofer.

Now to the problem; The only way I can listen to music is when Pure Direct is on. I have to crank when it is off it and it is so quiet it is almost nothing. To the best of my knolage when my mom bought it a while ago it didn't work, but I could be wrong about that. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks a bunch

-Jon

Hey I'm new to the forum as well as home audio. My mom gave me the house's stereo, it is a Yamaha natural sound rx-770 along with a natural sound cassete deck and 5cd changer. The speakers are 2 Klipsch KG4.5's and a Boston Aquistic 6in powered subwoofer. Now to the problem; The only way I can listen to music is when Pure Direct is on. I have to crank when it is off it and it is so quiet it is almost nothing. To the best of my knolage when my mom bought it a while ago it didn't work, but I could be wrong about that. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks a bunch -Jon

Here is a little thing I picked up on Google about Pure Direct of yamaha:

Normally, home-theater receivers run incoming analog signals through the ADC and then through the DAC. This can lead to degradation of the signal. The Pure Direct mode bypasses these unnecessary conversions, thereby preserving signal quality.

Yup, probably an all analog signal path. No cheap converters altering the sound.

That tells me you are better off running Pure Direct anyway.

Hey Jon, Welcome to the World of Klipsch and the Klipsch Forum. We're glad you are here.

Most receivers are able to be reset to factory settings. Like rebooting a computer, you can try to reboot the Yami. On some you just hold the power button in for 10 seconds or so and that will reboot it. Check the owners manual, if you have it or look it up online. This may solve the problem.

As was mentioned, "Pure Direct" mode is a feature Yamaha is know for and often sought out. It bypass' all the processing and tone controls and takes the signal straight to the amp and out to the speakers, introducing no or very little signal degradation.

"PURE DIRECT" It can be a beautiful thing. [Y] It does depend on your source though. Remember, garbage in......garbage out! [;)]

Also, I've never seen a 6" sub reproduce "Sub Sonic" Sound. Physics won't let it. This is more of a Bass driver and can introduce more problems than it is worth. I once got a killer deal on an 8" sub from Def Tech and until I replaced it with a Real Sub Woofer (SVS 20-39 pc+) I didn't know how much it was "muddying" up the sound. Try the speakers without the sub for awhile and then add the sub and see how it sounds. Often times, they just add "Boom" and not bass.

There is no such things as stupid questions. Just stupid people who don't ask questions! So ask away and we're here to help you, if we can.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Dennie

Yamaha's 'Pure Direct' is a nice concept, but it does not allow for subwoofer output, so if your main speakers sound thin without the help of a sub, it's not really useful.

That's why I use the 'Straight' setting on my Yamaha receiver. It's almost the same as Pure Direct, except there may be an extra circuit or two running in the background, including the display circuits. In Pure Direct, the display goes to sleep unless you change the volume or another setting.

As for the OP's problem, I can only agree with the idea of doing the factory reset.

Thanks for the reply.

I cant find a owners manual for free online. I also tried to hold the power button for 10sec and nothing happened. I'll look around more tommorow when it isnt really late at night.

And that is good to know about the subwoofer. Ussaly i dont have it on anyway. But that is still good to know.

Thanks everyone for the replies, i appreciate it greatly!!

p.s. If anyone knows how to restore a Yamaha Natural sound RX-770 Stereo Receiver to it's factory settings then that would be great to know how. Again thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

I cant find a owners manual for free online. I also tried to hold the power button for 10sec and nothing happened. I'll look around more tommorow when it isnt really late at night.

And that is good to know about the subwoofer. Ussaly i dont have it on anyway. But that is still good to know.

Thanks everyone for the replies, i appreciate it greatly!!

p.s. If anyone knows how to restore a Yamaha Natural sound RX-770 Stereo Receiver to it's factory settings then that would be great to know how. Again thanks.

Yeah, sometimes it can be difficult to find an owners manual on-line after an item has been discontinued. Send Yamaha an email through their Customer Support on their website. If my memory is correct, they are pretty good about helping Yamaha owners.

Keep us posted,

Dennie

• 4 weeks later...

Hey sorry i didnt reply fast, i got alot going on.

1. I found the manual for the stereo reciver, but i cant find anywhere in the manual where it says how to reset it.

2. I also relized the subwoofer is 8 inches, not 6.

3. I found another stereo reciver in my basement. It is a Yamaha natural Sound RX-V490

4. (off topic) i found 2 computer speakers and a subwoofer in my basement as well! :)

Which stereo reciver is better? The RX-770 or the RX-V490?

Again, sorry for the late reply.

The RX-770 is a 2 channel stereo receiver, and there is no way to reset it to reset it to factory specs as there is no bass management, on screen display, video switching, etc...

Something is not right if it is much louder in pure direct mode...

The direct mode bypasses the bass, treble, and loudness contour functions. It is not anything to do with digital to analog or analog to digital as it often is with later receivers. The yamaha loudness contour is a little different than you would expect in that the more you turn it the quieter the output. Is the loudness control set all the way up? That would result in the symptom you report.

hELLO AND WELCOME, I also have a Yamaha RX-V665 w/ pure direct. For me it actually takes to much out and I never use it.I do think the way to go here is to get back to factory settings.On the 665 you have to power down, then up, hold main pwr and straight at the same time this gets you into programming ,then you advance w/ pushing straight button till you get to initiate all then enter.This of course might not hold true for your model.Here just in case is Yamaha factory tech support #---800-292-2982 ex-5. I hope this works out ,I do think this is just a reset type of problem and not a beat amp.