Cornwall vs. Crites Cornscala?

Boomzilla

It's time to simplify - I want a single, full-range set of speakers. Options that I'm considering are:

1. Cornwall 1 (about $500-750, if I can find a pair)

2. Cornwall 2 (about $600-850, if I can find a pair)

3. Cornwall 3 ($3,500 per pair)

4. Crites Cornscalas (about $3,000 if I buy all the parts & cabinets from Bob AND some significant labor to assemble & finish them)

I've only heard the Cornwall 1 (and a pair of Heresy 2s). The $3,000 and up options strain the limits of my spouse acceptance factor, but they're doable if needed.

I currently have a pair of Heresy ones, but to convert them to Cornwalls would cost as much as buying a used pair of Cornwalls and offsetting the price by selling the Heresys.

My initial instinct in this choice is to wait until a nice pair of Cornwall 2s shows up within driving distance of Baton Rouge. I could update them over time with new Crites crossovers & some titanium horn drivers, thus delaying the wallet impact.

Any suggestions, comments, or aspects of this choice that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Not really any way to convert a Heresy to a Cornwall. The only useable components are the K-55 mid driver and the K-77 tweeter; all else would have to be obtained. Given your budget considerations, maybe look for a pair of used Cornwall-I cabinets. Obtain the K-600 horn, the K-33 (or CW1526 woofer) and a pair of "B" crossovers (easiest and cheapest to build also). That would at least give you a basis for considering either the Cornscala's or the Cornwall-III's at a later time.

Good luck in the search!

[H]

A CW III uses a Heresy mid horn.

I don't see why you couldn't build up a CW clone with the Heresy parts and a K-33 woofer. Drop the taps for the mid and tweet on the autoformer (like a B network) and make the mid cap larger, around 3.5µF for the K-700 horn (instead of the 4µF used with the K-600).

You might even make a large removeable board for the mid and HF section, making future changes easy.