deciding on speakers/setup

WeebMan

I've got more questions than I want to admit. But this is the place to learn from the experienced, so here we go.

First, a little info on what I'm doing or trying to do. I'm putting together a 5.1 system that I will use in a living room 20'Lx17'Wx10'T. I will eventually have a projector set up on one wall, while the flat screen will remain above the fire place on an adjacent wall. I will have the speakers set up to work properly(placement wise) for the projected screen. So far, All I have is a receiver(Yamaha rx-v867), two towers(rf-5's) and one sub 12(may grab a second that just came up on cl for 200. I'm planning on using an rc-7 for the center(currently on the hunt, please advise if you feel there is another center that would work better). And am at a loss for the surrounds. Feel free to comment on all I have said so far. Now for some questions.

1. I listen to alot of music, but want the movies to sound amazing as well. What surrounds would you recommend?

2. The way my living room is set up, I will have to put the surrounds in the upper corners of the room(would look Rly awkward otherwise). Will this be a huge disadvantage opposed to having them at ear level? Should I angle them down to the sitting location?

3. The rf-5's are rated at 150 watts. I have them bi-amped and the receiver puts out 125 watts per channel. Do I need to be worried about putting too much power to them? I've heard people mention that the receivers don't Rly put out as much power as they say.

I know I have alot of other questions that wont come to me right this second so I'll have to add them later. Thanks in advance for all the input and time you take to help out us new enthusiasts.

If you could post a pic or two of where you want to put the surrounds
that would help. I would go rs-52ii or rs-62ii being they aren’t direct speakers
so they don’t have to point right at you. Don’t worry about having too much
power. The rf-5 will take anything your receiver can pump out as long as it’s
clean. If you go book shelf speakers for surrounds then you would have to angle
them down at you. Anything from the RB series would work. I would definitely
add another sub in that room. Book shelf speakers as surrounds will sound
better for music if you use multi-channel for music. But for HT the RS line
will be the better choice.

RS-3's would work great with the RF-5's and and RC-7

Yes they go great together I have RF-5's an RC-7 and four RS-3's together they all blend very well. RS-7's are also great but the RS-3's do fine for surround.

The RF-5's will handle and love lots of power, mine absolutely love the Emotiva XPA-2 connected to them which is rated at either 250w or 300w per channel Emotiva uses both ratings, I believe 250w was their earlier rating which Emotiva later updated to 300w.

Okay so rs-3's it is. Would the II version be much of an upgrade? When it comes to mounting them, will being in a corner interfere with the sound reproduction? I notice this speakers kind of shoot off to the left and right a bit. Would it be better to have them one or two feet from the back wall(that would put them even or slightly in front of the main listening position). Also, Im having a very hard time finding a rc-7 less than 10 hrs away. I found one that has some scratches and some stain worn off on the edges, missing one woofer and the other has a dented dust cap. I can get it for 240 shipped. Basically 70 dollars for a new woofer, try to pull out the cap on the other... throw a little stain on it and I'd have a decent rc-7 for under 350. Should I go fot it?

It will run you around $55-$60 each for a new RC-7 woofer, plus S/H. Will your center be housed or out in the open? If you have it in a A/V cabinet, then the cosmetics vs. price may not be such an issue. RC-7's seem to show up in packs when they are available, and then are scarce for a while. It's a great speaker though!! Unless you want to wait it out for a near perfect one, I'd offer $200 shipped and see if the seller bites. Good luck. Another option is the RC-3, it's a step down from the RC-7 - smaller drivers, smaller cabinet, and vinyl vs wood veneer. Good luck.

The center will be out in the open. I love the way speakers look. I've already tried 200 shipped and he didn't go for it. I've got my heart set on the rc-7. I Rly don't want to downgrade after all the great things I've read about it on here. I probably should just be patient, but that's proving to be a tough task.

The center will be out in the open. I love the way speakers look. I've already tried 200 shipped and he didn't go for it. I've got my heart set on the rc-7. I Rly don't want to downgrade after all the great things I've read about it on here. I probably should just be patient, but that's proving to be a tough task.

Yes.... you probably should.

I would let the seller know your offer stands for X amount of days; and then move on.

I can get a set of Heresy Is for $300. $200 for a partial and slightly abused speaker/cabinet is about the max I would pay.