Pro La Scalas?

I'm going to take a look at them this week. I'll check the tag on the back. Ive never owned a pair of La Scalas before; don't you check the mid/high drivers from the back and the woofer from an access hatch on the bottom?

If all the parts are there, I think I'll buy them. They look a bit rough, but I don't see why they can't be rehabbed into a great looking and sounding speaker. Anyone care to take a shot at giving me a fair market value?

Um; yeah. That tweeter thing going on definitely detracts from value.

It will be hard to fill in the voids once you remove the extra tweeters. (Not impossible; but hard).

I would start VERY low; like a couple hundred bucks low. You may be opening a can of worms which could require new/ rebuilt crossover as well as other non original parts being present. (This adds up quick). Add to this that the cabs have been hacked up and modified; for me it is almost a dealbreaker.

Good Luck!

I'm going to take a look at them this week. I'll check the tag on the back. Ive never owned a pair of La Scalas before; don't you check the mid/high drivers from the back and the woofer from an access hatch on the bottom?

If all the parts are there, I think I'll buy them. They look a bit rough, but I don't see why they can't be rehabbed into a great looking and sounding speaker. Anyone care to take a shot at giving me a fair market value?

Tough to say. If they were normal, beat-up black la scala with stock components, the price may be $500 - $800, depending on how beat up and how much the buyer wanted them. Keep in mind, the crossover (assuming original) may be as beat up and dirty as the speakers. The handles don't necessarily detract from the price, but the tri-clops frankentweeters do. fixing/replacing Xovers and components can get expensive, so definitely look those over before buying, as well as making sure all components function, since replacing diaphragms can be pricey if you can't do it yourself. As Ironsave said, it is tough to value without more info.

Well, I'm going to take a look at them this evening. I'll report back here when I return. I think I'm going to offer $200 and see where I get. The hacked-up cabinets do not bother me too much, as I plan on adding a V-trac or Elliptrac midrange horn at some point (which requires cutting up the cabinets). My main concern is that all of the correct drivers and crossover components are there.

I planned on buying a set of 'scalas in the future anyway, but it would take me a while to save up the $1000 that they normally go for. If I can get these for a decent price, I can make a project out of re-finishing them and won't have to cut up a nice pair to add aftermarket midrange...sounds like a good deal to me. All I have to do now is get them for a decent price.

It turns out you guys hit the nail on the head! The speakers were pretty rough. The K-77's were nowhere to be found, and in their place were 3 el cheapo piezo tweeters. The K-55's and K400's were all there, as were a pair of K-43s (I guess that means they are in fact industrials). The cabinets themselves were pretty rough as well, but they seem to be salvagable. The crossovers (AL-3), also appear to have been kludged-up quite a bit, but all of the major components seem to be there. I haven't had the opportunity yet to sit down and check them against a schematic yet.

I paid the guy $300 for them. Perhaps I paid too much, but I really wanted a pair of La Scalas, and I doubt I'm ever going to find another pair for this cheap. I don't mind having a long-term project; in fact, projects are one of the reasons I like this hobby. My plan is to rebuild the crossovers, replace the k-77s (I have a pair sitting on the shelf), and eventually go to some sort of tractrix midrange horn (looking at the v-trac). I'm going to sand down the cabs, and probably have them veneered along with my Heresies that I am in the process of finishing now. I'll be sure to post up when I get them done!

Thanks to everyone for the information and advice!

Congrats!

$300 is certainly in the realm of a very fair deal. Nice! [:D]

As you said; they need lots of work; but you basically have insured you will at least break even.

(You very likely to be way ahead monetarily when they are done).

I would love to see pictures of your repairs and upgrades!

Thanks.