Updating older K-horns

killer58

Killer,

1959, huh? As far as I am concerned, unless you are having problems with the components in them, just leave them as is...assuming they sound as good as they did when new!! You might get some advantage with some new ALK cross-over networks, but I am sure that there is no need to change-out anything else if they have been well-maintained and not sonically abused. At the least it may be a good idea to update the wire that goes from the crossover networks to the separate drivers with some good Monster cable. Just remove the old wires, cut the new cable to lengths, clean up the old contact points with a pencil eraser or a very light sanding with fine grit(be careful not to let what you sand off get into the parts of the network) or at least some contact cleaner, install the new wire, and kick back and listen to them with a smile on your face!! Smile.gif

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

HDBR,

Thanks for the advice. No they have not been abused, my folks have babied them since they got them. I don't remember what they sounded like back then as I was only one year old! They sound great to me, played through our Marantz 7C and 8B. I recently compared them to pairs of ProAc's, Triangles, and B&W's. Nice as they all were, I wouldn't trade for any of them.

David

There is a Dope from Hope publication about upgrading. It is about 20 years old now. I can send it to you if you request.

Essentially, PWK and Hope would, at that time, sell you components to bring it up to date. That would have then included a full set of drivers, the K-77 tweeter, crossovers, and a K-400 midrange.

As you might know, the K-Horn, as a whole, had a hiatus in the last few years and now is available with 2002 spec drivers. I expect that Klipsch will sell you components necessary to bring it up to present equipment. Of course I can't speak for them.

On the other hand, you have a real classic. You might be doing more harm than good.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 04-28-2002 at 10:32 PM

Got any pics you can post?

If you rewire, be sure to observe polarity of the drivers and crossover, connecting + and - as you find them. This will preserve phasing of the drivers.

Regards,

Fred

('54 k-horn)

This message has been edited by k2dx on 04-28-2002 at 09:56 PM

I would leave them alone wire to.

The old klipschorns sound great in stock form.

I read in Vacum tube valley that the old Khorn really did not need any upgrades and that most morden ones would sound better with good vintage drivers.

They alos said the old crosovers were a work of art.

But if you want to "upgrade" with new drivers sell me you old horns,crossovers and drivers .

That old Marantz stuff is junk,It just sounds to good

and will ruin your tast for other amps.I could unload them for you!

Jim

51 khorn style B walnut toner

58 khorn style U raw

59 khorn Style c Raw

59 khorn Style c M-L-S