Replacement Components

It is a big project you're contempating.

Generally, you can scrounge parts from E-Bay.

It would be interesting to hear which flanking units you're trying to build a center channel to match. Also, which sort of center channel did you have in mind. There is the LaScala / Belle or something like a Heresy.

Once you give this info, a lot of fellows may jump in.

Gil

Hi,

I'm trying to match Corwall 2 speakers. The cetner channel I want to build must be 3-way and sound good. I'm not that concerned with a perfect timber match. I don't thin kit's neccessary. I'm not sure it's a viable project. However, I could custom build the cabinets in the finish I want and to the dimensions I want which is very attrative to me. Parts express sells Selenium horn drivers http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?DID=7&WebPage_ID=3&Start=2&CATID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=279&sm=1&so=2that look interesting. Layne audio claims to have replacement drivers for Heresys that are a close match. I think they sell the mid and tweeters for around 69.00 each. Layne also sells matching woofers and crossovers. However, I would love to hear from someone who actually used their parts.

Am I just better off buying Heresy speakers and using one for a center channel. They wouldn't really fit my sizing needs but I do like the sound of the Heresy?

Thanks

I assume you want the usual center channel form factor with two smaller woofers on either side of the tweeter and squawker. I am in the process of doing something similar to match my Heresys. I am using all Heresy components with the exception of the woofers. The woofers are 10" 16 ohm units of the same manufacturer, design and vintage as the original woofer.

Your project is certainly viable if you can do the woodworking and use the right components.

IMHO your best approach would be to start with a Cornwall II and use everything except the woofer and cabinet. Then find a pair of smaller woofers with similar sound and efficiency that can be wired in parallel or series to give the same impedance as the cornwall woofer. You might have to use different taps on the autotransformer to compensate for any difference in woofer efficiency. If you do, some changes in capacitor value may be required, too.

If you want to use a bit less expensive base to build from, a Heresy II might give a closer match to your Cornwall IIs than a Heresy.

You might want to check with the Klipsch parts department. They may be able to supply the Cornwall II or Heresy II tweeter, squawker and crossover. Price will be higher than Parts Express parts, but timbre match will be much closer. Klipsch components and complete speakers can also be found on eBay.

You noted you are not concerned about perfect timbre match. The difference between a Heresy II and a Cornwall II may not be a problem. The difference between a Kllipsch Heritage speaker and something built from different parts might be. Have you listened to a system with a mismatched center? Unless you are a very undemanding listener, IMHO you will find it very annoying. Even if it really does not affect you, you might as well build something that matches than something that does not if you are going to the trouble of building a center.

Good luck and enjoy!

I guess I should have mentioned that money is a concern. If I didn't care about saving money I guess I would dump 450.00 on a pair of heresys and call it a day. Parts Express sells pro driver horns for 40.00 and up. Layne sells then much less than Klipsch too. I was looking for an inexpensive solution. Layne Ausio also sells the crossovers for around 35.00.

Any ideas are appreciated.