which inwalls for surrounds?

Thaddeus Smith

based on room layout and wife appeal in the house we're buying this next year, it looks like i'll be going with in walls if I want any sort of surround sound. fortunately, i'll have walls directly to each side of the main sitting area and will be able to place them perpendicular and just above the seating position.

do i go with the r-5650-s or r-5800-w to accompany my RF-5s and RC-7. The first model is surround speaker specific, while the 5800 is closer in driver drive size and specs to what i have.

exactly. it seemed to be more of an LCR speaker - wasn't really sure if should even be considered.

I'm also looking at a pair of these bad boys - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10837&cs_id=1083702&p_id=7604&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

they've been getting decent reviews on AVSForums for quite a while as LCR speakers - I figure they cant be all that bad for light duty surrounds. And at $82 a pair, it's a hard price to beat, even if they turn out to be crap.

• Moderators

do i go with the r-5650-s or r-5800-w to accompany my RF-5s and RC-7. The first model is surround speaker specific, while the 5800 is closer in driver drive size and specs to what i have.

At the Pilgrimage in Indy one year we got to hear one of those and I was really surprised. They would be a perfect match, comparing the sound I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same drivers as the RF line, the sound was the same.

I wasn't expecting much because I just didn't like in-wall/ceiling, but was really impressed after listening, placed correctly it would be close to a normal RF setup. imo