Quartets - Input needed

tmay2169

So, I was doing a little research on the forum and after contacting Bob Crites, I decided to scrap the idea of updating my RF-35's and replacing them with a pair of Quartet's which I purchased in the 90's. My plan is to update the tweeter diaphragm with a titanium one and replace the crossover. I may also consider updating the woofer and mid-range at some point. But before I drop a couple hundred dollars on this exchange, I was hoping I could get some input from members on whether they think the updated Quartets will be a sonic improvement over the RF-35's. These will be incorporated into a 7.1 system but I am really hoping to get the improvement in 2.1 music listening.

I highly recommend the quartets, and they would be the last speaker I would let go. I would allow every La Scala, Chorus II, Forte, CornScala and Heresy to go before the quartets. Upgrading them could give you a great speaker. They sound amazing in two channel. If you plan to move to 7.1 though, I do not know if the quartets are the way you want to go. Finding a matching center is an issue:

Academy is the center match but is expensive.

Another Quartet would be great, but is a size issue for most.

Matched surrounds mean you are looking for more quartets, or heresys.

You could also go with Forte/Chorus I/II and move the quartets to surround duty as well. Or you can go with non-matched surrounds

I guess what I am saying is that the quartets are great speakers. Doing a matching HT system could be expensive but worth it. The center is what I would be most worried about later.

I never really thought about my center which is an RC-3 II and an obvious match to my RF-35's. I might have to think about replacing that as well if I go with the Quartets. I have synergy series surrounds and never really noticed an audible difference in the back channels.

I have Quartets with titanium tweeter diaphragms and crossovers done by Bob and Michael Crites...EXCELLENT speakers...as for a center...the KLF-C7 is a better match (TracTrix) but that and an Academy would do fine...don't worry about the rears for HT you should be okay with what you have...

Bill

I have Quartets as mains with Acadmey center and Heresy 2 sides with KG1.5s as backs. The front 5 sound great and while the KGs in back are not matched to the front 5, there is so little content from them that it does not matter.

I have replaced the tweets in the front 3 with the Crites Ti. Fantastic imporvement even with stock Xovers. The Ti tweets take the towel off of the speakers and really open them up, very smooth. I replaced the tweets in my Fort'e 1s and Cornwall 2s with them also. Well worth the money! [Y]

Those KG 1.5s in the backs do not match but they probably do well enough for what they are used for. I would not want to listen to Surround Sound SACD/DVD Audio/Blu Ray concerts in your system necessarily (I prefer the 5.1 for these which the Quartets, academy, and Heresy 2 would sound great). Upgrading tweeters and updating caps always open up the sound.

I've got a pair with Crites tweeters, klipsch titanium mids, and upgraded crossovers. They sound great and are very similar to my Forte II's. I think that they are easily the best bang-for-the-buck in the Heritage series.

Jim

K-701 horn & K-53-Ti mid (same as the HII & Cornwall III). I had to talk them into selling me a pair because they couldn't get past the idea that I would use them in Quartets and not the models they were "designed" for originally.

So I guess what everyone is saying is that, with the Crites cross-over and tweeter, and new Klipsch mid horn and driver, my Quartets will kick butt and be a big improvement over my RF-35's...right? Does anyone suggest any modifications to the low end? My woofers and radiators are in good shap, but if I can tighten up the bass with some upgrades I would be definitely consider that too.

I just helped my brother rebuild his Quartet speakers with new KLF20 woofers, ti mids and tweeter diaphragms some intrim crossover mods but they will be totally rebuilt in some months time with new german c-core auto transformers and fresh inductors caps and resistors. Yes these will kick but over a set of RF35. Have a look at the braces and stiffening. These speakers are sitting on Slylan four post (12") stands (risers removed). Hope this is of interest. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=372783&page=3

The Quartet baffle woofer rebate had to be enlarged a little to fit the plastic bezel on the KLF 20 woofers. There was nothing scientific about this experiment. We decided to drop the KLF20 woofers in one night just to see what they would sound like and they never came out.The crossover points are stock and the speakers sound great. I added some high density (yellow) fiberglass damping to make up for thr material used to brace and stiffen the cabinets. We have another session of playing with the damping to get the bass extension sounding just right. Aside from that the switch was painless and well worth the effort. The motor on the KLF20 woofer is physically the same as the one used on my Forte ll woofers so in essence you are turning a Quartet into a Forte with a ten. Hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

I've ordered the tweeter diaphragms and crossovers, but I have a question or two before I purchase the mid horns and drivers. Are the K-701 horn and K-53-Ti mids an exact fit in the Quartets? Also, the Quartet has the Tractrix mid-horns and the K-701 is an exponential...what is the difference?

Well, I've installed the new crossovers and tweeter diaphragms. I am not sure how long they will need to "break-in" but I did a side by side A/B comparison with my RF-35's with mixed reviews. The Quartets have more detail and are more crisp sounding than the RF-35's. However, they have a "boxiness" to their sound as opposed to the RF-35's which have a more airy natural sound. I'm not sure which I like better at the moment. I will have to do some more testing with various music sources. It does give me pause as to whether I should continue the experiment. I am not sure I will get much more bang for the buck by upgrading the mids and whether the ones suggested are a good match for the Quartet crossover frequencies.