Projector screens

JasonJCarney

Monoprice had listed projector screens labeled as HD. They also have some for a quarter of the price not labeled HD. Can anyone tell me the difference? Monoprice has almost no information on them and almost no reviews. I am interested in getting a screen but do I spend $500 shipped for an HD screen or $250 for non HD matte screen?

im looking at 16:9 screens. I watch alot of sports and game quite a bit so I need the 16:9. After some price searching it looks like jamestown and monoprice matte white fixed screens will be about the same price shipped. Jamestiown will do a custom size so that makes me lean towards them. Plus you can actually get someone on the phone that knows what they are talking about.

Still wonder what the difference between the matte white and the HD screens are.

http://www.hd-projectionscreens.com/

Above is a quick link I found that discusses HD screens vs non-HD pj screens. It basically says it's a myth.

It lists 3 requirements, smooth, black boarders, no wrinkles.

I can tell you that the jt screen has the velvet light absorbing boarder. The screen material has to be stretched into place (this requires two people), but it doesn't wrinkle if done properly. The material is not smooth like silk, but it is smooter than my wall. Hope that helps.

It has been some years since I bought my screen but I went with a Da-Lite 1.3 gain perm. screen. It has a beveled black alum frame. I seem to remember paying about $750 for it. 16x9 119" diag.

While I can't compare it to the monoprice screen, we have been very happy. The 1.3 gain allows use in a less than perfect room while still having good looks.

The screen attaches into the frame with snaps and it was a one person operation. However, hanging it on the wall took two!

Could the difference of "HD" or non HD be in the gain of the screen? Some finishes or screen material are better for one situation and not so good for others. There is a lot that goes into a screen and why it looks good or does not.

This link may help you decide on a screen. The link is to Da-Lite but similar screens are available from other makers.

EDIT: after some head scracthing, I think I remember which screen we have. We went with the

Cinema Contour frame

with the

Cinema Vision fabric.

I concur with the Da-Lite. Look into the High Power screens with 2.4 gain. I have a 110; model C pulldown (but the screen surface can be put in any frame. With the low projector location you have it will do wonders for the quality of the Picture quality and has no hotspotting and the brightness is universal across whole screen. Downside to them are narrow viewing cone ,but off axis mine is still great. If your directly under projector it'll look amazingly bright and no color uniformity issues. Research it on AVS and you'll see alot of positive words about it. They also have a new High Power -High contrast now for same price and it is a light grey that would work well in your room by the looks of it from pics.