VPI Scout

slovell

WOO HOO!!!

I finally pulled the trigger and bought a slightly used VPI Scout yesterday. I can't wait to get my hands on it, I haven't bought a turntable since 1985 when I got my JVC QL-Y66F that I'm still using today. I've got two LOMC's already on hand, a Denon DL-301mkII and an Audio Technica AT-33EV. I'm hoping they match up well with the Scout's JMW-9 arm. If there are any Scout owners out there who might care to pass on their wisdom and experience with this table I'd love to hear from you.

Regards, Sam [H][Y][Y][Y]

I will absolutely post pictures when I get it, it should ship tomorrow from California. I've been salivating over this table for years and finally gave in and spent the dough to get one. This one has all the accessories, tools, setup jig, clamp, and the original box. I won it for $1250.00 in an auction on Audiogon, that seems to be the going rate for used ones nowadays. Still a lot cheaper than buying new. I've been using my JVC QL-Y66F since I bought it new back in the eighties so this should be quite the change for me. I've always wanted to try a belt-drive and I've never read anything but good reviews about the Scout. It should be very interesting to hear how it compares to one of Japan's wunderkinds from that era. I must say, I'm really looking forward to finally owning the Scout and playing around with it.

Regards, Sam [:P][8][Y]

My Scout is the only piece of gear I bought brand new in the past 30 years. Figured it would last my time so it was worth it.

I still don't have a worthy cartridge in it, but it sounds awesome and is gorgeous as well. Just make sure you get a good rigid cover so the cleaning people or casual and ignorant visitors don't whack it around.

Hope to do something about the cartridge in the next couple of years. I want one as good as the Scout itself which is why I am still using my Grado until I can seriously better it.

Dave