Luxman or Mcintosh

gagelle

This has probably been addressed before but I know several people in the community have a high regard for Luxman. I've never heard one and noticed that new models cost more than Mcintosh. So do they really sound better than Mcintosh? I could only afford a vintage Luxman which means adding several hundred to the already high selling price for refurbishing. I know it's subjective, but could someone describe the particular sound of a Luxman that makes it special?

I know it's subjective, but could someone describe the particular sound of a Luxman that makes it special?

Luxman equipment does not necessarily sound better than anything else out there. In fact, some of their older SS equipment sounded positively brittle and awful! As mentioned before, you need to hear the equipment in your own system and draw your own conclusions. If you find the sound pleasing, then it's good!

When I look up equipment highly regarded my some forum members, they all have the same characteristic: A "tube like sound." It seems obvious that the "tube sound" goes very well with horn speakers. So I've gone in a circle and have to raise the question for myself: why not just but a tube Amp?

you seemed to have done the requsite reading and research which is the first step.

the hard point is the transition from the preparation to decision and to pull the trigger, seems like you're ready.

take the plunge, if you like it, great, if not, sell the piece and try again. this really is the rewarding part of the hobby.