Surround Sound for gaming advice needed

accipiter0600

Hi,

I am an avid WWII simulation gamer looking to put together a surround sound experience that will create an immersive gaming environment. I usually play with headphones which is nice because it allows you to hear a lot of subtle sounds that can be lost in a speaker setup (my experience in the past with lower end speakers) and allows for good surround sound positioning. I am hoping that I can put together a speaker setup that would allow me to get the audio quality I am used to with a good pair of headphones, offer good positional audio and can shake the room like only real speakers can do. The room I game in is pretty small at 10' x 12'. I want quality, but I don't want to waste my money on something that is just going to be overkill. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I play mostly Flight sims(IL2 Sturmervik) and sub sims (Silent Hunter 4 and 5).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Sometimes overkill is great, sometimes, it is exactly that, sound bouncing off walls make it hard to tell when you're getting flanked. I run a PS3 slim which goes into DTS for SOCOM 4 and Dolby Digital for MOH 2010 and Mass Effect 3. The AI in SOCOM 4 is ridiculous, so I have to dynamically position squads in the middle of a fire fight,

I love the dynamic intro to ME3, but I hate getting flanked so I keep it down to a civilized 70 - 80 db, I'm around 10' on axis from my center channel a Klipsch Quartet. I tend to pickup the clues and I hate using headphones, only Klipsch can really delivery the dynamic range and low end necessary for games.

A lot of old Klipsch boxes dating back to the 1980's and a blend of modern digital technology for gaming.