Onkyo Amps

In fact K Horns and just about all Klipsch speakers are easy loads.

Any amp can drive them,and NAD are nothing "High Current" is marketing.Bryston,Classe and Krell would do circles around NAD.

Onkyo amps are not as bad as some may think,in fact some Onkyo power amps and integrated in the Integra line are quite good quality and can drive just about any speaker you could want.

NAD High Current LOL Then what is a Krell FPB? A Super Duper High Current amp. LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I agree with TheEar that the "High Current" to a large degree is mostly marketing. But NAD receivers/amps do offer very CLEAN current, especially at or near peak levels. They also have a reputation for providing performance, value, and simplicity of design and function.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Well NAD Amps are indeed high current able to deliever around 45-65amps of peak current versus the onkyos 10-20amps, i agree Krell are higher current amps but they arent in the same price range. You cant compare a camaro to a mclaren f1 and say the camaro doesnt run good. I was making a camporasion to like proce products not a $1000 NAD versus a $10000 krell.

ja,

I looked into buying your very same Onkyo M-508/P-308 combo years ago (1987)and it was SO much better than anything NAD had at the time as well as many other big names.(I also looked at the NAD line as I liked the plain no no-nonsense look of NAD)

With its 55lbs weight and 200 watts per channel it was one nice package and also good looking as well with its green analog needles.

I don't think many on these Board know too much about Onkyos Grand Integra line-I think they're use to the junk they see at Circuit City now-a-days from Onkyo as well as other big names and don't realize that the Grand Integra line was meant to go face to face with a lot of the big names at the time.If any doubt look into the Grand Integra M-510 300 watts per channel dual mono construction and 165 pounds!At a price of close to $4500.00 it was one monster amp.

If any doubt go to www.audioreview.com and read up on these fine amps.

What it all comes down to is this...if it sounds good to you thats all that really matter.

Jeff

I work in an audio store that sells Onkyo, NAD, B&K, Sunfire, Carver, Lexicon, Denon, PSB, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, Argon, Bryston and can say that having heard the above mentioned Onkyo amps they do sound very good but as you pointed you are looking at $4500 amp, again no one looks at the performance per dollar offered by NAD $1100 buys a 225wx2 amp the 218THX its stereophile recommened and i have yet to hear its equal for its price.

With many of Klipsch speakers having sensitivities of 90+dB @ 1watt/1meter, power is rarely and issue. It is more to the point of providing good CLEAN amplification that delivers clear and neutral sound. So ample amplification providing sufficient headroom to avoid clipping and a units ability to reproduce sound with clarity and no coloration. The rest becomes a matter of cost, form and functions that meets the buyers preferences.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

The Onkyo big mono amps are great. I have a Onkyo

M-504 dual mono block amp (165 wpc)driving my

La Scala's. I've had this for almost 10 years now. I use to have the same preamp as you too. I traded in my preamp,tuner, and Dolby Pro Logic decoder for my Denon AVR-3801 but I kept the amp. This amp was just discontinued in 2000. It was on the market for 9 years. Say's something about the product.

Yes, the La Scala's don't need this type of power in all honesty, but the headroom this amp provides for dynamics is just plain good. There are lots of good high end amps on the market, just depends what you want to spend. As long as yours keeps feeding nice clean power hang on to it. you will not notice a really big difference by buying something else, especially for the price.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Rennocneb,

The Nad 218THX gets the nod from Stereophile as a class "C" amp; it has its downfalls but at $1199 msrp its not all bad.

For a few extra bucks on used market you can buy a Bryston 4BST, which is Class "B" by Stereophile and will pass the Nad up in power, slam, dynamics, sound staging....and the 20 year warranty is trasferable. Of course being a salesman, you wouldnt tell someone that they can buy a used product on the open market at a much better deal.

The Sunfire amps are a question mark here.Yes they do have raw power but that is what Bob Carver has lived on for many years....raw(high)power at a low cost. Phase Linear, Carver, Sunfire it seemed that all followed in each others foot steps. My first amp was a Phase Linear Dual 500II and it took me many years to part with it, a classic yes........audiophile amp no.......just my two cents

Well i would tell a person they could get a good deal on used equipment because we also sale used equipment.

The bryston is a very nice amp but im not so sure about it having more power or slam. I have heard both side by side on very difficult loads such as martin logans and quads dipping to as low as 1ohm and the NAD will definetly keep right up with the bryston in all those respects and yes you can get a good deal on a used bryston and still have a warranty but there is something to say about something being brand new. Also again i was trying to point out that you and others like TheEAR are not comparing apples to apples. Saying that you can get a good used bryston for the same price as the NAD means they are not products in the same price category. TheEAR is even more absurd by comparing a Krell to an NAD no doubt the Krell is a better amp but for god sake it costs 5-100 times more than the NAD depending on the model you buy. The sunfires are just plain awesome for what they cost. Are there better sounding amps sure but not many for $2500 dollars and none in its power category. Again compare apples to apples sure i love bryston, krell, and many other very high end products but they are in very different categorys from NAD.