LaScala Question for HDBRbuilder

Greetings HDBR,

They insider info that you have provided on Klipsch is very interesting and helpful, and I was wondering if you could help answer my questions.

I have a pair of 1976 LaScala's LS-BB that have coutersunk screws holding the top on. They look to be original, the previous owner even kept the mesh in place over the Klipsch Logo's that protect them in shipping. I have not seen any others like this. How is the top on the LaScala usually fastened? Should I fill them in and relacquer? Otherwise they are in very good shape and do not look like they have been refinished. Any info would be helpful.

------------------

HK AVR20 II

Toshiba DVD

32" Toshiba TV

Odyssey Stratos

1976 LaScala's Front L&R

KV-1 Center

KG 1.5 Rear L&R

KSW-12 Sub

Gregorius,

The LaScala tops were originally nailed on in the early versions, but due to the difficulty of installing the components into the tweeter/midrange housing from the rear with the top installed, a crosspiece at the top rear was added to strengthen the cabinet, for its journey through the plant to final assembly, where...after the components were installed, the pre-finished top that accompanied the speaker through the plant was screwed on ....was just alot easier to install the components before the top went on...plain and simple....that strengthening crosspiece in the rear also served as a mounting point for the screwed-on top.

So....filling in those holes and laquering them will make it more difficult to replace a tweeter if it is ever needed....but if you don't think that will ever need to be done, or don't mind the hassle of dealing with that if the time ever comes, then by all means fill them in...your call.

Glad you're enjoying your LaScalas.

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

Thanks HDBR,

It's just that I have seen pictures here on this forum of other members LaScala's and they did not seem to have the tops screwed on and I thought mine had been changed somehow.

Thanks

Greg

------------------

HK AVR20 II

Toshiba DVD

32" Toshiba TV

Odyssey Stratos

1976 LaScala's Front L&R

KV-1 Center

KG 1.5 Rear L&R

KSW-12 Sub

Gregorious,

The change-over to the screw-on top occured the year yours were built...1976...that fall. The builders didn't like it, but it sure made the folks in final assembly alot happier!! Even then it wasn't ALL the LaScalas that got the screw-on tops...for a number of reasons...mostly just ones that were gonna be sold as "raw" ones with no finish on them when they left the plant...but a few clear laquered ones had screw-on tops...very few!! The problem with the screw-on tops was ensuring there was a good flush appearanc when the top was installed...the builders, sanders, and finishers hated em....but the final assembly folks loved em....alot of the LaScalas with screw-on tops were intended for soundstage re-inforcement, and sometimes an idiot would blow a tweeter...and have to replace it...it just made it easier to replace them. The downside was that screw-on tops arent glued on like the nailed versions...normally, just screwed-on.

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 05-01-2002 at 11:50 AM

• 3 years later...

Jon,

notice the dates on those posts from Andy? I believe he is currently in the military somewhere, doesn't post regularly.

I and many others here have built our own LS, but the truth is that you

can buy them used cheaper unless you already have all the components

and drivers. Might want to spend a little time researching the

costs of the components and wood before sawing any.