No labels or serial number

BLMay

Hello all. I picked up a pair of loudspeakers that were without any markings from the base thrift store for 10 bucks. I took the back off one and was amazed at what I saw. I believe these are Heresy 1's, but Im not sure. No number or anything on the cover or inside. I have them hooked up to a Bose CD player via a Eico HF-81. I found that amp for 9 bucks at a thrift store in Florida 15 years ago, also an unbelievable story. It sat unused until I found how to hook everything up from a diagram off the internet. It had no markings also. The sound is unbelievable also.

Are these Heresys? The horns are K-53-A, the woofers K-22E, and tweeters K77M. Is there a serial number hidden somewhere? Thanks for looking.

Posted Image

First of all welcome to the forum!!!

Second... 10 bux for a pair of Heresys is an absolute STEAL. I doubt that any of us here would pass up a $10 pair of Heresys whether we needed a pair or not. Congradulations on a GREAT deal.

I'm sure that one of the resident Heresy "experts" will chime in shortly with more information about those. In the mean time I'll tell you what I know about them. At one time I had a pair with the same drivers. I forget what year they were built though. While there is no "official" designation as such some here refer to those as Heresy 1.5s. They were fairly late in the production of Heresy 1s. There may or may not be serial numbers stamped in the edge of the cabinets. I've seen late production Heresy 1s with stamped serial numbers and I currently have one without a serial number.

Either way enjoy them. Sounds like you have a pretty nice setup to play. Heresys LOVE tube amplification.

Welcome to the Forum!

Those would be late 1984's or early 1985 (very rare, but I have a pair). Reasons:

no serials stamped on edge; last year was 1983. There was an overlap between the H-II's and H-I's and they continued production until they ran out of H-I parts.

Woofer is a K-22; normally it was a K-24 starting in 1983, but they were gearing up for production of the H-II's at that point, and any remaining K-22's left in stock were then used up in the final runs of H-I's

Mid is K-53 and crossover is E2 with the non-oil can caps, K-77 square magnets, etc. E2's were the mod made for the use of the K-24 and K-53 in the last of the H-I's.

On the backs, you should still faintly see the staple marks and some discoloration where the label was attached on the upper right side.

There may be a PRIDE sticker inside one of the cabinets. That would have component assembly and test dates. Those stickers are usually only found in the final 85's and then in most H-II's.

The "caps" on the crossovers probably should be replaced (contact BEC on the Forum). You might also unscrew the K-22's and rotate them 180 degrees. After about 25 years, the weight of the magnet can cause the basket frame to sag. Rotation will then cause the sag to correct itself.

You should also "seal" the backs to those braces by using 1/4" wide thin speaker gasket tape (parts-express). Leave no gaps. Apply the tape to the braces. When re-installing the screws, be careful to cross-torque them as to not warp the board and cause "leaks". That will ensure you are getting all of the bass for which the cabinet was designed to do.

For complete info on the Heritage series, including serial coding, ginishes, drivers, crossovers, etc. See:

Enjoy!!
[H]

Woofer is a K-22; normally it was a K-24 starting in 1983...

If you look close, the EIA code on the woofer appears to be 678344, which would indicate the K22 woofer was manufactured until at least late in 1983. Don't know how long a batch of woofers lasted Klipsch. But it looks like these Heresys are from late 1983 or early 1984.

The "caps" on the crossovers probably should be replaced...

I would replace the electrolytic on principle, but the metalized film caps should be just fine. But replacing the latter won't hurt and is inexpensive and easy to do. FWIW when I replaced the electrolytic on my 83s I couldn't hear a difference.

...the weight of the magnet can cause the basket frame to sag.

Never seen this happen. But the fix won't cost a cent an is easy to do. I have seen cones with really soft surrounds and spiders sag noticeably, though. But never in the woofers in a Heresy.

You should also "seal" the backs...

If it yielded a significant improvement, I would think that Klipsch would have already done it. Anyway, again, it won't hurt and is inexpensive and easy to do. You can get what you need to do it at your local home improvement store.

BLMay,

You got a steal. IIWY I would just kick back and enjoy

them. Later, if you like, you might want to investigate some mods,

including the ones suggested already.

Thanks, I'll have to recheck to see if there's any ID on the inside of the other one. I do enjoy listening to them, previously I had a pair of Radio Shack PA speakers which sounded good through the Eico, but these really jump out at you. When friends come by, I like to play a good CD on the Bose with it's volume up, they will say those loudspeakers sound pretty good, even though they aren't playing. Then I'll turn on the Eico and crank it up and they are blown away.