School me on A/V options for my new hideout

sputnik

We bought a weekend/vacation place this year and we're just getting things set up. Our getaway is an old restored rail depot that was moved to a nice piece of land with spectacular views. I'm setting up a basic system for movie viewing and 2-channel listening in the main room. I don't have dimensions but there are pictures below. I'm trying to use dusty old equipment that I already have but not I'm using anymore including two pair of Fortes, a pair of KSB 1.1s, a Pioneer VSX D1S receiver (TOTL in 1991), either a B&O RX or Dual 701 turntable. We have a 50" plasma 3d TV and a cheap 3d dvd/blue ray player.

Right now, I have the TV connected to the blue ray player with a HDMI cable and the audio from blue ray player is also fed the receiver via RCA cables. The receiver is set up in stereo mode with a single pair of Fortes. This is a pretty remote place so there is no high speed internet but even playing Pandora from my Blackberry with marginal cell service doesn't sound too bad. This works quite nicely but the receiver can do 5 channel dolby pro logic surround sound (not 5.1.) Having ignored home theater technology for over 20 years, I know nothing about HT set up but I'm thinking that it might be time to step into the 1990s and get the full use of the receiver’s antiquated capabilities. I know there are way more advanced choices nowadays but I really like that old receiver and I want to use it. Is it really worth the effort? The single pair of Fortes do just fine and I don't want a room full of speakers and subs.

Anyway this is where I'm starting and I'd appreciate any suggestions. Music is the first priority and if decent HT can be set up without a bunch of clutter, then I'd like to add that in. TV is only used for movies.

The room

Posted Image

Another view

Posted Image

Head on view. I don't mind the glare we'll only watch movies at night.

Posted Image

View of "listening area"

Posted Image

View outside

Posted Image

• Moderators

That is a great view ! [H]

I like the way the inside looks, I can see why you wouldn't want to put a bunch of speakers in there. I think it would be worth the effort. Me, i would not add a center, send that signal to the 2 fronts, just two side /rear speakers would give you the effect for movies. I never say this BUT if the space is accessible you could install a L & R rear set in that bay window ceiling. Just something back there for a little surround effect, or even something on the floor pointing up ? Just ideas Cool looking " hideout ". [H]

Thanks guys.

OK, this is a dumb question but do rears have to be behind you? There are a pair of holes already in the ceiling from old light fixtures that would fit in-ceiling type speakers but the position is slightly in front of the sofa (the holes can be sen in one of the pics). I also like the idea of maybe sticking the old KSB 1.1s behind the sofa pointing up (don't know why I didn't think of just pointing them up). Also I'm thinking that the Fortes will be best for two channel music (and eliminate the need for a sub for most movie viewing) but those wall mounted Gallery speakers I've seen in some of the Klipsch "spam' I've been getting lately look nice and would free up floor space (I'm going to wall mount the TV anyway). If I went that way, I'd need a sub though. Would that combo still work anywhere near as well as the Fortes for music? Any FHE?

Also, do I need to try to match speaker types? Do Fortes work OK with in-wall/ceiling? I'm not really fussy - right now, if I want to fake a center channel I just turn up the volume on the TV speakers and it sounds fine to me.

• Moderators

Thanks guys.

OK, this is a dumb question but do rears have to be behind you? NO I don't think it's all that important your n ot trying to get it perfect.

There are a pair of holes already in the ceiling from old light fixtures that would fit in-ceiling type speakers but the position is slightly in front of the sofa (the holes can be sen in one of the pics). I also like the idea of maybe sticking the old KSB 1.1s behind the sofa pointing up (don't know why I didn't think of just pointing them up). That may be a better idea, all your really looking for is the surround effect from the rears anyway.

Also I'm thinking that the Fortes will be best for two channel music (and eliminate the need for a sub for most movie viewing) but those wall mounted Gallery speakers I've seen in some of the Klipsch "spam' I've been getting lately look nice and would free up floor space (I'm going to wall mount the TV anyway). If I went that way, I'd need a sub though. More so than with the fortes for sure. Would that combo still work anywhere near as well as the Fortes for music? I really doubt it. Any FHE?

Also, do I need to try to match speaker types? Do Fortes work OK with in-wall/ceiling? I'm not really fussy - right now, if I want to fake a center channel I just turn up the volume on the TV speakers and it sounds fine to me.

When you don't use a center and set the receiver that way the signal used for the center is sent to the mains, if the mains are not real far apart I think it's better set like this instead of trying to have a center that matches the fortes. The rears are not nearly as important if they don't match, most of the sound would be from the fortes.

Instead of new wall mount speakers, what about some in ceilings used with the 1.1's behind the sofa and a newer receiver that would have a discrete channel for each and a volume control adjustment for each to get the sound really balanced. Also this way you could just press a button for just 2 ch and listen through the fortes. ?

I don't know if your receiver has discreet channels, and where you can adjust the volume of each separately ? If it does not it's not like you need a high priced receiver because all new HT receiver now have this and discrete channels. There is a big difference from pro-logic to the new receivers.

This way you really don't see any more speakers but have good sound for movies and 2 ch, also if you wanted to ad a small sub later you would have the connections. If you don't want to mess with trying to get the in-ceilings installed up there just try the 1.1's with your receiver to get an idea and go from there ?

Just another opinion [:P]