Building my System...

free02

This is my first post here and I am a new found klipsch lover. I listen to music constantly on my system and the performance from klipsch is none short of amazingn. I am here looking for some advice....

I have:

2 rf 52s,

Pioneer VSX 1020K Receiver, and a

HSU STF2 sub..........

I have attached a pic of my room. Its small just a 10 by 10... I have about 400 to spend on my next purchase....

Should I be looking for a center channel or rear speakers first?

Should I look into bookshelf or surround speakers for this room?

What should I do about the fact that my head has to be prty close to the back wall?

any suggestions would be very helpful. thanks

post-52430-13819661546164_thumb.png

Welcome to the Forum, free02. Stick around - this is a great place!

I would go for a center channel next, then surrounds. The RC-52 or 62 would be the way to go with your fronts. Many here have said to get the best center channel you can buy as this carries most of a movie's soundtrack.

With your head close to the back wall, I think RS-42s would work very well. They're timbre matched to your RF-52s and would reach your ears better than a 'bookshelf' speaker.

• Moderators

Welcome [Y]

This time I will have a different opinion than Rivernuggets, this does not happen often. [:P]

I would get a vibrating bed next.......OK just kidding, I would get the surrounds Rivernuggets suggested. I only say this because with the small room your 2 mains can't be that far apart now, just set it for no center and let the mains cover that being there that close. and two surrounds will fill the rest of the room for rear effect.

? Just my opinion which is worth, well what it cost 0. [:D]

• Moderators

To go with Rivers suggestions you might look here in garage forum where a guy is selling exactly what Rivers suggested and only 55 bucks more then your 400 budget for all 3

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/152669.aspx

[:P][:P]

Just to show you how fast I type............this was not here when I started ![:$]

Thanks a lot for the input everyone.. How do you think the surrounds will perform with me being so close to them? Is there anything I can do to help this? Also why surrounds in this case over bookshelves?

I wouldn't worry too much about proximity. If they are too close/loud, just turn them down. If you mainly listen to music, I'd recommend bookshelves. IMO, they sound better with CDs. If you are going to do 50/50, then it's 50/50 on which you might prefer.

Also why surrounds in this case over bookshelves?

I should have elaborated more on why I feel RS-42s will work better than bookshelves. The 42s throw the sound in more directions than a bookshelf. I think that's a good thing when you may be in slightly diffferent places (like near the foot of your bed, laying on your stomach). From the Klipsch website:

By aligning two horns at 90-degrees with respect to each other WDST (Klipsch Wide Dispersion Surround Technology™) smoothly covers a 180-degree horizontal arc. In other words the surround sound is pointed at you no matter where you are seated.

How do you think the surrounds will perform with me being so close to them? Is there anything I can do to help this?

All modern home theater receivers can increase or decrease the volume of each individual speaker in a 5.1 (or 7.1) setup. You'll be able to set your surrounds at a quieter volume compared to everything else to compensate for being so close to them.

in that room - i wouldn't bother with surrounds. focus on your front stage and you'll be happy. you may even get enough sound reflection off the wall to simulate surround effects when it truly matters. I've been on L-C-R for over a year now and haven't really missed the surrounds at all.

• Moderators

Normally in a tight space I would say the regular surrounds to spread the sound around in a small area. But in your case you could use bookshelves if you want, and just put them on the floor facing up for a dispersed sound, you will probably be on the bed watching a movie anyway.

• Moderators

Lol no i mean is there anything I can do to improve the sound quality with my head so close to the wall. Should I look into acoustic foam to put behind me? Is there anyythinggg I can do to help this problem.

This is just a guess but with rear speakers you may not hear as much sound bouncing off the back wall from the fronts, it's going to have to be balanced just right with those rear speakers so you hear all of them together.

Something on that rear wall would probably help, acoustic foam would not look so great but would probably help, or maby a nice thick rug hanging on the wall would do the same thing.