How should I clean my amp's switches/ dials

lne937s

I want to start off by satying that I love late 70's solid state amps. They have heavy duty electrical components, real power (why did my 1977 hitachi G-class rated at less than half the power of my 2000 JVC blow it out of the water- bottoming out my previous RF3's @ half power), and they look better.

But I have a problem, some of the switches and dials on an amp I just bought are dirty and make scratching sounds when I move them or sometimes even cut out.

How do I clean them?

Should I take them completely apart and put them back together?

Should I spray some WD40 in them to clean them?

How should I lubricate them?

also one of my vu meters isn't working-any easy way to fix it?

thanks

Larry

To clean and deoxidize electrical connections on my old components, I use Caig DeoXit D5 Spray. Also use Radio Shack's Tuner Control Spray. It cleans and lubricates tuners and control parts. Here's a link to Oak Tree Enterprises. They often times have parts for vintage gear or may refer you to other potential suppliers. Shoot them an email. http://www.oaktreeent.com/Stereo_Necessories.htm

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 05-02-2002 at 09:24 PM

ShapeShifter has you right on track. Open up the Amp and you will see where there is a small slot that you can use the straw to spray directly into the dial and the switches while turning or pushing the switch back and forth use plenty and let it dry. Turn your amp back on and the noise will be gone if it isn't give it a second try.

Craig

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Thanks

I'll try the radio shack spray first since there is one near work.

Any ideas about UV meters, could they just be dirty?

I know they don't make any difference in the sound, but I'd like to have them work anyway?

thankyou

Larry

quote:

Originally posted by lne937s:

Any ideas about UV meters, could they just be dirty?

I know they don't make any difference in the sound, but I'd like to have them work anyway?

Could possibly be dirty or build up of gunk. Carefully clean their external mechanisms and see if they begin to function. Beyond that, I don't have any technical suggestions for trouble shooting the meters. Just might require an experienced tech to resolve.

Best to ya,

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

lne937s

I've an Hitachi SR-2004 gathering dust at the moment. Which class G unit did you have?

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

I used the radio shack stuff and it worked well- my balance knob is still staticy, but I never use it anyway. While I had the cover off I noticed something in the amp, which I just bought this week- it has seperate amplifier circuits for each side! when i powered it up i was amazed by how good it sounded. I bought it because they were a matched set, looked great, were 70's, and they were cheap- I had no idea what was inside. The amp is from MCS-modular component systems, which was made in japan and sold through JC Penny. I was kind of scared when I found out it was a store brand, but it sounds great.

Does anyone know anything about MCS? Who manufactured it?

Oh, my Hitachi was an SR-80?. It is in Missouri and I can't remember the last #.

Thankyou to everyone

Larry