ALK Crossover tap settings revised

Al, I would like to know the cost for a pair of your xovers. I have a pair of 1981 La Scala's I bought new. With all the good things I hear about your ALK's I would like to find out how much.

Thanks!

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Neek,

OK! Yours being DIY is why I couldn't find you in my list of customers! Thanks for the complements.

I talked to a friend yesterday who has a background in accoustics. He suggests that the 4-x setting raises the lows and highs by proportion which forms a curve similar to the Fletcher-Munsen (Spelling ?) effect on hearing at lower levels. This suggest that maybe the people who like the lower setting are those who listen at lower volume levels. Anybody have any thoughts about that? If thats true, Neek's idea of the 3 position switch has merrit!

SCOOTERDOG..

Send me an email and I'll give you the price particulars. By the way, our next-door neighbor has a little West-highland terrier dog name Scooter! Really!

AL K.

==================

Hi Al!

Fletcher-Munson.

Fletcher, who died in the 70's worked for Bell labs and was the "father of audiometry". Here is the low level Fletcher-Munson listening curve attached. See Fig. 2

Equal Loudness Curves

You will see lots of references to equal loudness curves or equal loudness contours- these are based on the work of Fletcher and Munson at Bell labs in the 30s, or perhaps refinements made more recently by Robinson and Dadson. These were made by asking people to judge when pure tones of two different frequencies were the same loudness. This is a very difficult judgement to make, and the curves are the average results from many subjects, so they should be considered general indicators rather than a prescription as to what a single individual might hear.

Fig 2. Equal loudness contours or Fletcher-Munson curves

The numbers on each curve identify it in terms of phons, a unit of loudness that compensates for frequency effects. To find the phon value of an intensity measurement, find the db reading and frequency on the graph, then see which curve it lands on.

The interesting aspects of these curves are that it is difficult to hear low frequency of soft sounds, and that the ear is extra sensitive between 1 and 6 kilohertz.

ChemPharma

This message has been edited by ChemPharma on 05-05-2002 at 08:14 AM

ChemPharma

Those curves you posted really illustrate the point! The squawker level adjustment changes the level between 400 Hz and about 5800 Hz. That's right smack in the area of the "sag" as levels are reduced.

I chacked my parts source and a 2 pole 6 position switch is available for a rather nice price. The problem is mouting it and wiring it. If I can figure an easy way, it might be worth incorporating into the network, maybe as an option. 8^)

Al K.

Dear Al:

Please continue to consider me a satisfied customer and fan.

For those of us whose electical expertise doesn't extend much farther than knowing which end of a soldering iron to grab, please explain in lay terms what the advantage/benefit would be to make the modification (additional wire to tap 4) to our crossovers.

Many thanks,

Dave

Everybody,

It is beginning to look like a switch is the answer! I have a 6 position rotary on order and I will see if I can work it into the design.

Does anybody think it should be in a little box on top the speaker for quick changes, kind of like a tone control or "loudness" compensation?

AL K.

Al,

Sent you an email regarding the cost for your xovers , never heard from you though. Could you let me know the cost for a pair af La Scala's.

Thanks Al!

scooterb@attbi.com

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround