Fisher 400 Receiver Opinions

Greetings Gentlemen,

Has anybody had experience with this reciever?

Particularly the one modified by Paul at BizzyBee. I guess he modifies it to use EL-34 tubes. It has a tube phono stage and headphone amp as well. I think he sells them for $799. I am trying to set up a 2 channel system with my LaScala's, and most tube preamp and amps are just out of my budgetand I am just too electronically challenged Wink.gif to attempt to rebuild one on my own. I would appreciate any info you could provide.

Thanks

Greg

------------------

HK AVR20 II

Toshiba DVD

32" Toshiba TV

Odyssey Stratos

1976 LaScala's Front L&R

KV-1 Center

KG 1.5 Rear L&R

KSW-12 Sub

This message has been edited by Gregorius on 05-03-2002 at 08:16 AM

No experience with the modified Fisher 400. But Paul rebuilt my Fisher 800B Multiplex Receiver. So I can attest to his skill and knowledge as an electronics technician. Kept me abreast of his progress throughout the rebuild process too. My unit stills performs flawlessly. The really big plus with EL-34 tube equipment is, the tubes are readily available and affordable.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Gregoruis:

Although I had my Fisher 500C rebuilt by Vacume Tube Valley here in Calif., I did contact Paul, and I liked everything he said. His timeframe was what convinced me to go elsewhere, as he was booking appointments 6-7 months ahead, and I did not want to wait that long.

In hindsite, it would have been more economical to wait, as VTV is VERY expensive. Great quality work, but man, what a price to pay. I would not do that again.

BTW: I love my Fisher, and I just bought a new Original Fisher cabinet for it, to replace the one I have that is not is such good shape. It really is a nice piece of audio history to have. (Besides that fact that it sounds wonderful)

Mike

$800? WAY TOO MUCH FOR A 400!!!

Pllus, I'm not sure there is ANY advantage to converting to EL-34 from 7868. Y0u can still get NOS GE 7868s for about 20-25 bucks each!!! Electrically its the same as a 7591 which is a nice sounding tube.

You could buy a untouched 400 for about $150 bucks, send it off to be "gone trough" by a reliable tech and still not have more than $400 in the deal.

Better yet, find a 500C and do the same thing for about the same amount of $$$$.

With complete overhaul cost, I have far less than $800.00 invested in my 800B. Although they are a bit more expensive, I elected to keep circuitry for the fine 7591 tubes.

With a good bit of patience and careful searching, you can find an original Fisher. Overhaul or repair to spec cost is not unreasonable as Allen stated.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Fisher 400 and a Fisher X-202. I love them both. Recently, I got a Decware Zen 84C amp. It produces about 4 watts using a 6DJ8 driver and two Svetlana SV83 output tubes. It is amazing. It creates a whole new level of audio experience. It needs efficient speakers. When I got it I had Kg-4's, I upgraded to Fortes just to maximize the amp. New, the 84C is $500 from the Decware website. There are used ones on Audiogon at $350 or so. You can retube one with stock tubes for $20 or go off the deep end, like I have, with every known permutation of 6DJ8 tube for different colorations. It's the best audio money I've ever spent. The Fishers are wonderful collectors items. The Zen is wonderful audio.

DNTBY4N,

Based on my experience with Paul, I definately agree!

However the question is: At $799.00, is the modified Fisher 400 a worthwhile purchase at that price? There are numerous choices of very good Tube Amplification along with Preamps at that price point and less.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>