Do I need a line conditioner?

zandern

I know allitle bit about what they do but are they necessary and do they help? I want to keep expanding my HT system so it sounds and looks awesome. I currently have: Denon 2820 receiver, Denon 270 CD Player, An Aiwa DVD Player (not recommended), 4 head VCR, 27" JVC AV-27D502 TV, Infinity HPS-250 powered sub, and very soon the Klipsch RF3 series speakers. How much should I pay for one? Could someone also please tell me more about them, and what I should look for?

Well.... Purchased a Monster Cable Power Bar , I was told it was going to make my system sound better. I personally didn't notice any difference, but I do sleep better knowing that I am well proteced in the event the unlikely event of a major power spike. Or what have ya. Also I like the protection warrenty.

Quote from Monster's web site.

quote:

All of Monster's Home Theatre Reference POWERBARs come with $250,000 Monster guaranteed connected equipment protection warranty.

------------------

the m00n system

Should have my R3 system replaced with R7 this weekends>

FRONTS: RF-3II

CENTER: RC-3II

SURROUND: RS-3II

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

What I have done is run all of my Pre-amps, processor and other low power equipment off of a regular old computer UPS.

I do not remember the name, but I am using an old larger capacity line conditioner that came out of a old computer room.

IMHO - I use class A amps and Khorns and I do not hear any improvement using power conditioning. It is mainly for protection.

JM

The idea of having a line conditioner is to remove any "noise" in the powerlines, which could cause the output from your amp/reciever to distort as well as the typical protections from power spikes and such. Whether the sound improvement bit is true or not, I don't know, but at the very least, you do want the protection from power surges and such.

I am still using a Radio Shack Optimus HT line conditioner (the highest-end line conditioner they had at the time) on my setup that I bought back at the time I bought my original HT gear. It works, but I'll eventually upgrade it to something a bit better such as that Monster Power Bar that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

As for the Wisconsin fellows - I am originally from Beloit, WI myself! Go Pack! (although my grandparents where die-hard Bear fans, but my parents - Packers all the way babeeee Smile.gif ).

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802

RF-3II (Front)

RC-3II (Center)

RC-3II (Rear)

RS-3II (A surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - recycled)

32 inch Sharp (TV)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Running your stereo off a UPS works, but I don't recommend it. CP protectors is such, as well as HT protectors. Depends on what stage 1-5, amount of joules, etc, you want. A lighting strike carries ALOT of wham.

I use the Monster HTPS7000, it does make a difference, regardless of your system, protection is "protection".

I have also noticed a sound change for the better, even upgraded my power cords to PS Audio.

PS. Read your "guarantee" carefully Smile.gif

Klipschorns(f)

Klipsch La Scala's®

Klipsch Hersey II's(boxed)

Klipsch KLFC7©(2nd is boxed)

Klipsch RSW15

Monster HTPS7000 Power Source

TEAC A-4300 Reel to Reel

Pioneer GR777 10 channel EQ

Musical Fidelity XPLS phono preamp

Marantz 6200 turntable

Marantz SR-18EX A\V Receiver

Marantz DV7100 Progressive Scan DVD

Marantz DR6000 CD Recorder

Marantz SD57 Casette

Marantz MV5100 S-VHS

Toshiba 34HF81

All Monster M1000 series for components,MC500 for rears, Kimber Cable 8TC for fronts and also digital(DV7100). PS Audio for power cords.

One of the main purposes of all line conditioners is to set the voltage at a constant 117 volts ac.(or 120 vac depending upon the brand)

The power company says that 90 to 130 vac is "standard".

The first thing you need to do is put a meter on your ac outlets and see what your voltage is. If you have voltages high or low, I would highly recommend a line conditioner.

As for the "cleaning up the power"...well I can't hear any difference with my Monster Power HTS2500. But, I am sure there are situations where noise can get into ac lines....

Minn

You are right. Temporary Low voltage (brown outs)are harder on equipment than temporary spikes. Line conditioners only have capasitors to maintain a momentary low. A UPS has a gellcell to maintain it for possibly hours depending on the draw.

I should revise my above post for clerity. I do not run my amps off of a computer UPS at this time, they are running off line conditioners. I do not have a UPS big enough to run my 2 800 Watt monoblocks. I only run my low power components like the preamp, DVD, CD player etc on a UPS.

Boomer - or anybody else. I would like to know why you do not think a computer UPS should be used. I was planning on buying some newer large APC UPS's to plug my amps into. So please enlighten me before I do so!!!

If you live in an older home, or next to an industrial park you will have a lot more spikes and lows than somebody who lives in the subburbs in a newer home with underground power feeds.

And of course - GO PACK.. This will be a good year for them.

JM