banana plug? spades? pins?

drdave

My normal state of confusion was just made worse when I realized that banana plugs, spades and pins exist. Are these needed? Which is better? What brand is best? Should the receiver connections be the same type as on my Klipsch?

I have monster cable 12 gauge and its connecting to an Onkyo 797.

Thanks

DrDave

Once upon a time.... I set up an amp (cant remember the name) that used some proprietary groundless push pull technology. I had bannana plugs on my speakers and the small diameter rod/pin things on the amp. After about 6 months the pin/amp connection opened, I bielieve from vibration over time, immediately frying my amp...

Ever since, I am a bare wire guy. Bare wire on the amp and speaker.

JM

I use banana plugs mainly because they offer a nice looking finished cable and I hate trying to get big wire (12 gauge) screwed into most binding posts. Bananas are also handy if you do a lot of changing wires, speakers, etc. Some people say spades offer the best connection and some swear by just clamping down on bare wire. I personally could probably not tell any difference on any method. Pins are mainly used on the speaker end of the cable that will be fed to spring loaded terminals on the speaker.

Just use the drill bit chuck. This has been my idea for some time ... to use something like a drill bit chuck on the back of any receiver/amp to accept any size wire. I have a friend that is a patent attorney working on this as we speak... Course by telling you I am screwed if I can do it anyway.

It's just one of those, "wow" this really makes sense things. Must be very inexpensive and offer a standard and gold plated version for the esoterics..LOL. Maybe I could get help from AL K to market this too?

dr u can get those low priced screw-on bananas at rat shack or monster makes their monster lock variety for a bit more $. that's what i use for the speaks that aren't bananable on their end, ie on the amp end of my cornwalls' cables.

i compared these to direct wire on the amp end & no audible dif here. screw-ons are real easy & makes for great convenience. i'm now bananas for bananas. Smile.gif

only place i don't have them is on the cornwalls w/ the screw terminals.

------------------

My Home Systems Page