Di, Tri-Pole surrounds

Aaron N

I know there's been quite a few posts about surrounds, but I have a question. I've seen the Di-pole surrounds but I don't know the model number, or is there many m.n.'s? I believe it was Boa 12 who was talking about both Di, and Tri-pole surrounds. So if it was Boa, please tell me what you think of them, I thought you said you had some. Another question, would anybody recommend them for H.T. with KG 5.5's and my soon to arrive KV-3 center? Last question, would I be better off using a smaller set of KG series speakers instead of the poles? Any input on the subject is appreciated.

aaron, i was considering getting some rs-3 for ht surround speaks. klipsch actually calls them wdst- wide dispersion surround technology speakers or dipolar. most people say best for HT surround effects as they send sound in 3 directions for a 180 degree soundstage (as opposed to direct radiating speaks which many feel best for music).

quite a few on this bb that actually own them.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

Aaron, I have used KG2.5's as surrounds with KG5.5 mains and found the combination worked well. As long as you have room to set them up properly they are great imho. I have no experience with the wdst speakers yet but probably will since the apartment I am in now forces me to put 1 of the KG2.5's extremely close to my chair. I have been thinking about buying new surrounds but since I don't use the surround as often as 2 channel it is not a big priority.

I've had a pair of the RS-3's for surrounds (The WDST speakers you're talking about) for about a month now. I've abused my entire system during this 'break-in' process, and I can say I'm totally happy with the RS-3's. Not only to movies sound incredible (once you get them positioned and tweaked correctly...I actually adjusted the dB input on my to +2 via my Denon 3801) but regular music really sounds good. I never listen to CD's thru my 2 mains anymore, I pump it through all my speakers.

Thank you for your replies. I just sat through a variable range of all types of music this evening. I cannot descrbe the appreciation I have for my set-up. Granted, alot of the memebers of this B.B. have more of an extensive system than I, but I have to pat myself on the back for going with Klipsch. The clarity and detail of the playback sources is something that other users can only wish for. In light of my KV-3 arriving I can only imagine what this addition to my H.T. is going to do. The only reason I was asking about surrounds is that currently I have Infinity RS-425s as surrounds and I feel that the they are not an acceptible match for the front portion of my stereo. Eventually I will try and find a nice set of used Di-poles in the near future to enhance which I already have. At the current time though I only wish I had the funds in which to acquire these speakers, so that I may enjoy the advantages of a truly matched set of speakers. Although I can't complain about the current setup I'm running, I can see where there is always room for improvement. To all those who wish to have greater than they have I say to hell with those who oppose, for the art of sound reproduction is something only a true enthusiast can apprectiate. Be wise in your acquisitions, but don't deny the lust for what makes you happy.

Signed,

A Klipsch diehard

A di-pole speaker has drivers front and rear which are out of phase with each other, producing a very strong null (lack of output) directed to the side. That means, when the front facing drivers are going forward, the rear facing drivers are going backward.

A bi-pole speaker has drivers facing front and rear but they are in phase with each other, meaning that when the front drivers are going forward, the rear drivers are alos going forward. This also produces a null to the side, but not as strong a null as a di-pole.

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a tri-pole or quadra-pole or any other such thing. This is all based upon the motion of the drivers relative to each other, not the shape of the cabinet.

The idea of di-pole and bi-pole design for surrounds is to minimize sound directed at the listening position and increase sound directed front and rear. The sound reflects off walls and such, reaching the listener after several reflections. This produces a shound which is highly ambient and enveloping. It was a great approach for THX enhanced Dolby Pro Logic as that format had a mono rear signal of restricted bandwidth (100 Hz - 7,000 Hz). Now that we have Dolby Digital and DTS offering discrete rear channels with full bandwidth and resolution, di-poles and bi-poles fall short. The demands placed on surround speakers are greater with these new formats as surrounds must produce not only ambient/enveloping sound, but also must create image localization in the rear sound field. You cannot create localization when all the sound that reaches you is reflected multiple times on the way. Imagine taking your front speakers and turning them to face the wall instead of pointing at the listener. Imaging would be almost completely gone.

To address this challenge, Klipsch created WDST design. In these surrounds, all the drivers (the company has created WDST speakers with 2, 3 and 4 drivers)are in phase with each other. They are not di-poles or bi-poles though most everyone thinks they are. Klipsch makes use of the unique ability of horn design to create surround speakers which seamlessly cover a 180 degree arc. That is, the sound anywhere in front of the speaker is very consistent, whether you are directly to the side or more to the front or rear. The result is a unique ratio of direct and reflected sound such that you get the big envelopment but also the localization of sounds lacking in all other types of surrounds.

Klipsch WDST surrounds are the #1 selling line of surround speakers in the US specialty market and there are currently three models: the SS-.5, the SS-1 and the RS-3. There will soon be a larger model called the RS-7.

When matching surrounds to your system, it is not only important to get the proper dispersion / directivity characteristics, it is also important to match the dynamic range of your front 3 speakers. Dynamic range is little understood by most users. It is the ability of the speaker to reproduce the enormous peak to peak volume range of music and movies with minimal compression. If you use poorly matched speakers with very different dynamic capabilities, the system will not work properly as the volume rises and falls. Perhaps you would be able to set the levels properly on the steady state test tones, but when the music gets loud, the more dynamic speakers will be louder than the others. When the music gets soft, the more dynamic speakers will be quieter than the others.

Check the "speaker matching chart" on this site to see what WDST models will best match your KG5.5's and KV-3. You'll be able to build a fine system.

BobG2, Well stated.The chart calls for RS3's,

although I have my own opinion of that.

BTW Bob,can you give me info on the Klipsch KT-DS THX dipole surrounds?Have searched the site and could not find anything.Thanks.

Keith