5.1 to 7.1: RB-51II vs RB-41II placement question

Aerocowboy

Hey all -

I currently operate this in a 5.1 setup:

L/R: RF-52 II

C: RC-52 II

SL/SR: RB-41 II

I'm about to add two RB-51 II, just for kicks, though probably in a "heights" configuration rather than classic sides & rears, per room and WAF considerations.

My super-simple question:

If it were you, would you upgrade the surrounds to RB-51 II and move the -41II to the heights, or keep the -41IIs as surrounds and use the 51s up front, keeping the whole front stage with 5" driver sizes?

I would presume that with AVR level trimming, the difference will end up being inconsequential, but I thought I'd ask.

• Moderators

If it were you, would you upgrade the surrounds to RB-51 II and move the -41II to the heights, or keep the -41IIs as surrounds and use the 51s up front, keeping the whole front stage with 5" driver sizes?

Honestly? Neither. I would stick with a 5.1 unless you are going to add an amp to your system. I'm using a 130w x 7 receiver that was $1200 when new. By adding 7 speakers, it dropped to around 50w / channel which is entirely underwhelming when watching movies. Personally, I don't buy the Height Hype. IMO, it's just marketing.

I'm sure that's not exactly the reponse you were looking for but you did ask for opinions. :)

I would move the 51ii's to surround and put the 41ii's upfront. There should be more information sent to your surrounds than your heights (I beleive although I have never used heights). I know my rear surrounds seem to play sparingly compared to my side surrounds. Youthman makes a point with AVR power. The more channels you add the more power it saps from your original 5. However you didn't say what AVR you had or if you had an amp so maybe you do? Also depends on how big your room is. I honestly didn't notice a difference in my room when I added an amp but my room is very small compared to most and I sit fairly close to all the speakers so power doesn't matter as much to me as it would to someone with an open room or larger room.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I can turn off the AMP that has the main 5.1, if I leave the AMP for heights and Rear Surrounds on...holy cow there is a lot of info on the heights. I had to go check to make sure my mains were off. This may be different depending on your processing. I had mine set up through audiseey, with Dobly PII2.