Ideal spacing for Klipschorns

matt giddy fruit

Hi guys

I'm renovating my living area. It's 7m x 4.8m x 2.8 high. I'm going to place the k horns on the 7m wall. I've got one good corner but the other side wall is a glass bifolding door, so I'm getting a false corner built (or in other words putting in an extra little reinforced wall coming out of the main wall to create another solid corner).

The question is at what point on the 7m wall should I fix the false corner to acheive optimum placement of the k horns for this size room? I'm thinking of about 5.8m from the other corner - meaning the speakers would be about 5.3m apart.

What do you say guys?

Cheers

Matt

A Klipsch Belle would be a beautiful center speaker, and a couple Heresies in the rear (and/or sides), and you have a damn nice setup. I have read where the left and right speaker's distance apart should equal the distance from the listener. As you are in a room that is 4.8m deep, your positioning would be good IMO, if you are going to be listening from the wall. Be sure you look around for false wall parameters. You wouldn't want one side to overpower the other because of a partial wall. Khorns are corner loaded, so the corners become an extension of the speakers.

May I suggest listening to them at sifferent spacings before building the corner? I would guess somewhere around 6 m will work, but these things are always room-dependent. Anyway, wherever sounds best to you is the spot.

I definitely agree with this strategy. Even if it means just mocking something up with a couple of sheets of plywood and some clamps. As others have said, with wide spacing you may get a "less convincing" center image. A summed center channel would be a good solution, if there is a problem. Check the threads on this topic.

good luck,

-Tom