Convert wired subwoofer to wireless??

Beechnut

Anybody done this? Would rather see it done with the LFE sub out on the receiver, but it'll be mono and not stereo. It shouldn't matter because whatever item you use should be able to transmit the entire freq range. I also worry about delay. . Guess Audyssey would compensate for that if it were severe enough? And, line level verses high level outputs depening on what the equipment is able to accept

Rocketfish is an option.

9370824_ra.jpg

Find this one though. Audioengine W1

W1BannerBottom-1001.jpg

I was aware of HSU doing it stock. But would you every consider doing it to an RSW-15? An Epik Legend/Empire? An SVS PB13 Ultra etc.... I'm thinking it shouldn't. Unless there is a delay. If it doesn't compress the audio signal...shouldn't affect fidelity. And I'm not sure how much fidelity there is below 120hz. Never owned a subwoofer for home theater so speculation here.

Subject is crossing my mind as I'm wondering about sub placement following a sub crawl.

FWIW, it looks like the rocketfish model is made for speakers, not an active subwoofer. In the manual it lists a class D amplifier as the output, and the quick setup guide's rear view of the wireless receiver only shows speaker level outputs.

Unless there is a delay.

As mentioned, any delay should be compensated for by Audyssey which you'll see on the speaker distance screen as the subwoofer will have some extra distance added to it.

If it doesn't compress the audio signal

I wouldn't foresee it as being a factor. Wirelessly streaming the full bandwidth of a CD (~1.4 megabits per second) is relatively trivial these days, let alone the fraction of the bandwidth you would need for a subwoofer. Only factor that I can think of that may affect performance is potential interference.

And I'm not sure how much fidelity there is below 120hz.

It's as important as any other band, except it tends to be a lot more difficult to get right.

Edit: this should get the job done http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAW3.html

FWIW, it looks like the rocketfish model is made for speakers, not an active subwoofer. In the manual it lists a class D amplifier as the output, and the quick setup guide's rear view of the wireless receiver only shows speaker level outputs.

I saw that too but imagined he could use the subwoofer high level inputs.

From everything I have read, the Audioengine product works well enough for this. Any delay issues can be compensated for by using your processor's distance settings (assuming you are using an AVR). Just make certain you buy enough of the parts you will need. You'd need 2 (not just 1) of the AC-to-USB adapters; one at each end. I think the basic setup only incudes one of those. And 2 RCA-to-3.5mm adapters with the proper ends that you might need. Not sure how many of those it comes with but those are easy enough to find, anywhere. You may even be able to find mono versions although the stereo version with only one of the lines being used will work just fine.