Your opinions, please...

cheric

I would sure hope they aren't at the end of their life. Even if they are, you can have them serviced and in "like new" condition for $100-300.00. Get a quality unit (either of the 2 listed) and take care of it. You won't regret it.

That's great to hope but any unit 7-8 years old thats been used daily to watch tv and movies and music could easily have parts at the end of their expected life.You gonna spend a $100 on an old unit to maybe fix vs a newer unit that is $100 more to start with hdmi etc..., makes no sense to me , good luck.

I love the advice that you guys are giving me. I think I have made up my mind but to keep the comments coming, I will not share that decision right now. [:P]

I has been an educated questions and answers for me. THANK YOU everyone and please don't stop with your comments.

I would sure hope they aren't at the end of their life. Even if they are, you can have them serviced and in "like new" condition for $100-300.00. Get a quality unit (either of the 2 listed) and take care of it. You won't regret it.

That's great to hope but any unit 7-8 years old thats been used daily to watch tv and movies and music could easily have parts at the end of their expected life.You gonna spend a $100 on an old unit to maybe fix vs a newer unit that is $100 more to start with hdmi etc..., makes no sense to me , good luck.

You certainly risk having issues anytime you buy used, but speakers and amps 5-25 years old regularly are resold in working condition. I currently run a 9 year old receiver daily that I bought factory reconditioned. I run a 16 year old Pioneer on the kids basement system with the Wii. My Dad used this daily for 15 years until I traded him a 6 year old receiver with HDMI which I bought used...it received daily use prior to purchase and it continues daily use. I have 3 mono block amps I bought used. They are between 5 and 15 years old and pushed hard in my dedicated HT. I just bought a 35 year old stereo receiver (used daily by 3 generations before being sold to me) to power my future heritage 2-channel set-up. I have had zero issues with any of these systems and never paid anywhere close to half retail on any of them. The only amp/receiver I've ever had issue with was the Onkyo I bought brand new. One amp crapped out on it with less than 2 hours on the system. I got it back from the shop a month later...still broken. While I would never discourage anyone from buying new, I will continue to buy used and encourage others on a budget to do the same.